FEATURE REQUEST (2, Actually)

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.

What type of documentation do you find most helpful?

In depth detailed description of all features
67%
Lots of cool code examples
8%
A template file with places to fill in your own values
25%
Documentation? That's what trial & error's for!
No votes

Total votes: 12

KyleRIT
Beginner
Beginner

FEATURE REQUEST (2, Actually)

Post by KyleRIT »

FEATURE REQUEST 1:
The menu's great. Very flexible, but I have a site with customizable colors via stylesheet. The rest of the site, you just choose your color template and it applies everywhere. Not so on the menu because all it's display properties are defined with the menu definition.

It would be awesome to be able to be able to specify stylesheet class names instead of absolute properties for most of the style attributes... deffinitely anything with a color.

FEATURE REQUEST 2:
Some documentation. Maybe I'm missing something here, but all I've seen as "documentation" is an FAQ and lots of example code. What would be MUCH MORE HELPFUL is a document that explains what each item in the many comma delimited lists are, EXACTLY what type of values are allowed (is that 1 a boolean or an integer?), and how they interact (ie, URL and Alternate URL). Also, a list of all the extra little things, like "target" and "swapimage" and soforth. So far, the only references to those that I've seen have been in the example code, so it makes it very difficult to see how they interact with one another.

Thanks!
-- Kyle
Future Paying Customer (as soon as I let my boss know what I've found)
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Feature request 1 has been done alredy but is currently being hindered by Netscape 4.x. Let me know how you feel about Netscape 4 support and I'll see if I can get the code released.

Feature 2 request is forthcoming, we are currently working flat out on support and the menu builder. The builder will be in Beta test within the next few weeks.

Cheers
Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

FWIW, Netscape doesn't support us (at least in 4.x), so why should we support them? It's way too much trouble to write NS-specific code just to get the simplest things to look right, especially given their great market share! ;) I'm trying to dump it here and only support 6 and above.
John
KyleRIT
Beginner
Beginner

RE: Netscape 4 Support

Post by KyleRIT »

I still think Netscape support is important if for no other reason than my customers would riot on me if I ignored it entirely, but going as far back as Netscape 4, I'd say dump 'em in a heart beat.

I don't mean to sound callus, but if you're surfing the web on something that old, you can expect stuff to look a little off. Take the time, get an update. It's not that hard. If the menu supports the two most recent rounds of a given browser, that's pretty good. I would bet that Netscape doesnt' even support Netscape 4 anymore. You ask them for help with a problem in NS4 and their first response will be, "Download the latest version."

Now, back to a web developer view-point, I don't want to totally shatter the hopes and dreams of the guy who thinks Netscape 4 is the best he'll ever see, so it would be NICE to have the menu at least presentable there, but so long as it is visible, that should be enough. It doesn't have to be styled to the max just as long as applying style rules for the other browsers doesn't totally rip it to shreds for NS4.

In summary: Give me my styling capabilities! :-D
Vinnie
Beginner
Beginner

Netscape

Post by Vinnie »

As netscape has a total market share of 6.5% of which only 1% is netscape 6. I still think that netscape will support Netscape 4.

But as Netscape 4 is so slow and netscape 6 is just bad, that unless there is a dramatic change in Netscape 7 (due soon) then more and more people are going to stop writing sites for Netscape.

On a recent project we spent 3 days to write the site and then another 3 weeks to get it to work in Netscape.

Netscape is so itent on being a 'Standards' browser that they have lost site of the real requirements, ie a browser that will work.
Scott
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Scott »

Netscape really have lost the plot, we may all hate them but Microsoft are going above and beyond with their browser research. For every standard compiled by the W3C microsoft matches it and and adds some, I really hope netscape quit as it would make all of our lives easier.. 8)

If people still insist on using Netscape 4 then they deserve everything they get.
John
 Team
 Team

Re: RE: Netscape 4 Support

Post by John »

KyleRIT wrote:I still think Netscape support is important if for no other reason than my customers would riot on me if I ignored it entirely, but going as far back as Netscape 4, I'd say dump 'em in a heart beat.
Would have fully agreed with you, but those clowns hit with a 4.8 last week. Not sure if it's just Mac or across the board.

So the question now becomes, how many versions are they going to 'support' (4.8, 6.2, and 7 to come on Mac), and will any of them ever work :?:
John