No installation documentation

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
CC
Beginner
Beginner

No installation documentation

Post by CC »

Hi

I have just started using this nice little program.
However I have searched thru all the FAQ's and have found nothing on how to actually install the menu.
NO instructions on how to call the script.

I understand there is a specific way to do it if you want to use the menu in a table.

Could someone please explain how to do this as I have been trying for ages and no success.

Thnx.

CC.
CC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CC »

Can anyone offer me some assistance here?

I can not get my menu to show when in a <td></td> anyone know why?

I can not find anything on FAQ.

Please, all help is appreciated

CC.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Docs are "a little light" here, and Andy has promised to work on them.

As for calling, first items in <body> would be...

Code: Select all

<script language="JavaScript" src="/sai/templates/menu_array.cfm" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" src="/sai/templates/mmenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
Obviously, adjust for the location of your scripts.

For putting the menu inside a cell see http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/menusampl ... ampleid=21. There's a lot of good tips located on the 'Capability Demos' menu item on the Home page, not to mention a lot of folks here willing to help with your questions.

Don't give up - this is the place to be :!: And don't stop asking questions. We all started at the beginning, and the only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. :D
John
CC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CC »

Thanks for that John

I appreciate it.

I will go and try all this and see if I am successful.
But I may be back. ;)

I have actually got DHTML menus on my site at the moment, but these look much better. So I would love to get them wqorking, I just dont understand why this is more difficult than the others.
CC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CC »

Ok so i am back already. :oops:

Whenever I call the script with:
[/quote]<script language="JavaScript" src="/sai/templates/menu_array.cfm" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" src="/sai/templates/mmenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

I get a Java script error, which is deinfed as a Syntax Error.

Any idea what this is?
Something obvious I am missing perhaps??
Obviously I have linked it to my files differently to the call above, so it points to the correct location.
So anything else I maybe missing??
menufurfer
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by menufurfer »

Welcome back:

John had said
Obviously, adjust for the location of your scripts.

but your code maintained his path [/sai/etc.]
E.g. if all your files are in the root directory, it would be
src="menu_array.cfm"

assuming your array is a cfm file.

I'm not sure what the [/quote] in brackets does or how, if it's in your file, it impacts the javascript code. /mfurf
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hello All,

The "[/quote"] is the end tag for the "quote" BBCode function for this forum... used when you want to add a quote from an earlier post to your own reply to the thread. Like this:
"Go ahead, make my day." --Harry, Dirty
Much of CC's message was actually inside a "quote" (where he did indicate that he changed the paths to appropriate ones for his site), but it wasn't really a quote, so I'll assume its presence was a slight mistake. Of course, CC, if you've put the [/quote] in your actual .html file, it shouldn't be there, but then it would probably just render as text on the page when viewed in a browser.

CC, is your menu array actually defined in a menu_array.cfm file? Are you using Cold Fusion? I don't use it myself, so I don't know much about it. Although the source filename itself shouldn't really matter, try renaming your array file to menu_array.js, as shown in the examples on the Milonic website. The problem may well persist. If it does, I would suspect an actual syntax error in your menu definitions (the menu definitions are actually javascript, so you can get javascript syntax errors). Could you put a test page -- one with your new menu -- on your existing site (it doesn't have to be linked to the main site), then post the URL to that page in this thread? That way, instead of speculating, we could examine your actual code; that would really help us to help you.

Kevin
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

As mentioned, cc, a URL would really be a big help for those of us trying to get you going.

The ".cfm" suffix in my array is because I'm using some Cold Fusion code to generate one of my menus. My fault for not pointing that out. Sorry. If you're not using anything "fancy" (.cfm, .php, etc.) then the standard .js is what you should be using.

As for the [/quote], I've noticed a few times lately that when I go to quote something and hit the button it actually starts out by giving me that closing tag, rather than the proper [quote]. Not sure why, but I suspect that's what happened here.
John