Menus don't work at all for Opera 6.03 on RH Linux

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
Roland Roberts
Beginner
Beginner

Menus don't work at all for Opera 6.03 on RH Linux

Post by Roland Roberts »

I upgraded from Opera 6.0B2 to Opera 6.03 today because Opera 6.0B2 was having a very bad time with some of my pages (went into some sort of infinite loop loading and reloading the page). To my dismay, I found Opera 6.03, at least running under RH Linux 7.2, complains about a JavaScript error when loading the menus and won't show them at all. Ditto for the Milonic homepage.

I sort of suspect the problem is Opera since the JavaScript fragment it shows me does not appear to be anything that the code is generating. It points me to what looks like the code generated from dumpmenus(). It only shows a fragment, like this:

7=menu[7];menu8=menu[8];menu9=menu[9];menu:=

and points just past the end of this as the error. I can't find anyplace where that final "menu:=" should be being emitted.

Anyone else seen this or have any clues you can send my way?

roland
Roland Roberts
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Roland Roberts »

This would appear to be purely an Opera problem. I have just installed the staticly linked version of Opera 6.03 on a different RH 7.2 system and am having no problems with the menus. I may try (later) installing the shared version here to check that the problem is reproducible, but I have already filed a bug report to the Opera folks.

roland
Roland Roberts
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Roland Roberts »

Okay, there is another chapter to this story. Don't put an onload handler in te <body> tag, and maybe not in other places. I added the following snippet to my pages

<body onload="if (self != top) top.location = self.location;">

to avoid being embedded in another page. It took a while before it dawned on me that that might be the causing Opera (both 5 and 6) to stop displaying my menus. Voile! Remove it from the onload and just stick it as a small javascript snippet inside the body and Opera is happy. MSIE and Mozilla don't care; they handle the onload just fine.