'Floating Menu's'

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
rossnunn
Beginner
Beginner

'Floating Menu's'

Post by rossnunn »

is it possable to 'float' the horizontal menu? like the vertical menu on the left hand side on the front page of milonic.co.uk?
:?:
Regards

Ross
timmyboy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by timmyboy »

If by "floating" you mean to make it follow the page up and down when the user scrolls, it is possible and is in the menu style array. (the same addmenu function where you add you horizontal menu items.)

It's the eleventh element, right before the horizontal/vertical variable, and should be set to 1 if you want it to follow, there should be a comment next to it identifying it as the follow scroll attribute. (Code samle below)

Take care and good luck,

~ tim <><

Code: Select all

addmenu(menu=[				
"mainmenu",				
style2,
1,					// Follow Scrolling - (1=on/0=off)
"",
,"Home","index.html","#","Home",1       //Menu items
])
rossnunn
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rossnunn »

Thanks M8,

I have two more questions.

1) Is it possable to scroll through the menus? - i.e i have a product menu that at 1024x768 is too big to fit on screen. Is it possable to have this scroll up and down? There seems to be an option at line 78 but I cannot enable it??

2) If i set the background to clear the menu 'sticks' and then overlay's on itself

Can you help?

Regards

Ross
timmyboy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by timmyboy »

To answer your question, no, I probably can't help you with those, Andy and Co. would probably have to step in with these.

As for what I know, when my menus have been too long I've split them from the second to a third tier. I've never seen one that has the scroll bar like you ask but perhaps.

I think we'd have to see the code/site for the second issue you're having.

Take care and good luck,

~ tim <><
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Ross,

Scrolling menus aren't really a viable option right now. The option you see mentioned in a comment (from an older array file) refers to some functionality that the Milonic crew had been experimenting with a while ago. You'll notice that the comment does not appear in the more recent downloads/examples. That's because the option was not fully implemented... it was just an experiment at the time. Nevertheless, the scrolling code is still in the base script, so you could try it if you like. Be aware, however, that the option was never fully implemented, so it may not work to your satisfaction. The only example I know of is at this site, in the "Galleries" menu. You'll notice, however, that the page is dedicated to listing problems with the approach. So, you might want to consider Tim's suggestion and break your products menu into smaller pieces, perhaps following some sort of product category.

Regarding your second question... I'm not sure what you mean by "sticking." I can tell you that if you want a transparent color, it's best to use "" (a null string) in the appropriate spot within the style array. If that doesn't help solve the issue, perhaps you could post a URL, so we could see what's happening and examine the code behind it, to come up with a solution.

Hope that helps,

Kevin
davebarnes
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Menu is following scroll (and I don't want it to)

Post by davebarnes »

oops
Dave Barnes
sitting in my basement with my iMac
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com