Menu appears before the page renders

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
delemarc
Beginner
Beginner

Menu appears before the page renders

Post by delemarc »

Hi...

How do I keep the menu appearing before the rest of the page is rendered?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

You might try moving your JS calls further (farther? - never get that right) down in the body. The menu was written to come up fast, and it delivers.

Just curious, but any particular reason this is a problem?
John
delemarc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by delemarc »

Please check out these two sites:

http://www.maverickpartners.com
The menu loads (pretty much) with the rest of the content.

Now, this one:
http://www.townandcountryhomesnc.com/index2.php
The menu appears before the rest of the page shows up. I really don't like that, but it may just be me.

Both use the same version, and I use a php "ob_start()" to (attempt to) compress the output on both.
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

You may need to look at the size of your photos, they could be slowing up the load. Try temporarily taking them out to see if they are the cause.

I also noticed after the page loaded up there was an error, but after I clicked 'refresh' it was ok. And if I have a look around he site then go back to the main page, then everything pretty much at once.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

As a visitor, I liked the menu being up first, it actually made me decide to stay for the load because I saw the words 'floor plans' so I was willing to wait. Nice site. and yes, I got the error message also on first load.

Ruth
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

On your second URL, there was only a second or two between the menu and the rest of the page. To me, not a problem.

I think Andy's suggestion of checking your img sizes was a good one. Make sure you are not loading a 'large' photo and then using the browser to size it down. Many folks make this mistake. Always size your images first in an editor. Also, watch quality levels and resolution.

Please excuse if you know all this...
John
delemarc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by delemarc »

Thanks for the feedback...

Will check the image sizes...