Menu Displays Behind Select Objects

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
wwilliam
Beginner
Beginner

Menu Displays Behind Select Objects

Post by wwilliam »

We have downloaded and are using topmenu4 and it works great.

The only problem we are experiencing is the sub menu display in the background underneath select objects. It doesn't do that with any other object.

Is there a workaround or fix for this ??

Thanks For Your Help !!
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Not sure what brower you are using. But take a look at http://milonic.com/search.php and in IE6 at least the menu covers over all the drop downs with ease. Make sure you are using the LATEST version 5.0 RC 11 (at the time of this post). Go to http://milonic.com/download.php to get the latest.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

topmenu4 ?

I take it you got that from dynamicdrive.com - If so, it's version 3.3.19, we are currently at version 5.0 RC11 so it's a bit behind.

The version from our site should sit in front of select boxes just fine on the newer browsers.

Cheers
Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

What you have is actually 20+ levels down from what is current. In addition, the v3 series is no longer officially supported.
John
Doc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Doc »

Hi,

I have purchased the latest copy of the Milonic menu (my scripts are dated 26th of September) and I still have a problem with Select form fields appearing on top of the dropdown menus.

This is happening for me on my own site (an intranet) in IE 6.0SP1 but not in Netscape 7.0 or Mozilla 1.4.

However when I view the menu on Milonic's own site the menus do appear in front of dropdowns in IE6.0SP1!

Does anyone have an idea as to what I could be doing wrong in my creation of Select fields? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

You've made sure your milonic_src, mmenudom, and mmenuns4 are all RC11, most current? Those are the main things I can see as different between your menu and andy's. If you need to, look at the file Andy uses to generate his menus and see what, if anything, he may be doing differently.
If you can, posting a URL would be the most beneficial...even if you leave your computer on for a day and give us your ip address, that would maybe help. Or post your menu_data code. Anything more would help.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Doc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Doc »

I've just managed to realise what the problem is, although I don't know how to fix it.

The problem is my site is setup with a number of absolutely positioning areas. One at the top contains the menu and one below contains each pages data as such.

If I disable the absolute positioning the dropdowns go behind the menu, but with absolute positioning on they appear in front. I can only guess the menu doesn't really know where the dropdowns are?

So is there any workaround for this? As it's a rather large site I'm developing, and changing the base structure of the site would be something I'd rather not do 8O
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

My guess is that you have embedded to menu inside a DIV.

This will lower the menus Z-Index and will begin to appear under anything not related to the container DIV.

If you can make sure the menu is completely separate from all other HTML objects, the problem will go away.

However, I am only guessing though so could do with a URL to confirm this.

Cheers
Andy
wwilliam
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks !!

Post by wwilliam »

Thanks for everyones help on this. I went and upgraded to version 5 of your menu and got a professional license for it and it took care of my problem.
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Simply put, awesome. Glad to hear it! Thank you!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Doc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Doc »

Andy wrote:My guess is that you have embedded to menu inside a DIV.

This will lower the menus Z-Index and will begin to appear under anything not related to the container DIV.
No, I have all of the menu code immediately after the BODY tag, and before any DIV statements.

I've been able to put up a cutdown version online which shows the problem: http://hillcrest.sim-racing.net/prc.html

Any help solving this would be really appreciated! :)