transparent menu

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
cjones
Beginner
Beginner

transparent menu

Post by cjones »

I would like the background of my menu to be transparent (let the background show through) when the mouse is off the menu. What do I put in the "" for the color?
"??????", // Mouse Off Background Color
Jonsie
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Please sit down, because you're about to smack yourself in the forehead with the palm of your hand.... ;)

Try "transparent"

You can also try "" (i.e., a null string)

Please note: from the syntax of the example you posted, I surmise that you're using version 3 of the menu system. You might consider updgrading to version 5... lots newer, lots better. I'm going to flex my new "moderator" muscles and move this thread to the version 3 forum.

Cheers,

Kevin
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Hell yeah Kev! Whoa now, watch it, you almost busted out of your mighty mouse costume! :D
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
patwoods
Advanced
Advanced

Cold Fusion Variables

Post by patwoods »

I am trying to set the menu color as a CF variable. I have tried to use

offbgcolor="<CFOUTPUT>#variable_name#</CFOUTPUT>"

as my variable, but it sets the menu to transparent and all the submenus below it also. My guess is that I am setting things up wrong in the js context of things.

Is there an easy way? I admit I am brand new at looking at this code, but have gotten pretty much what I want out of it already in a few hours. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.
cjones
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cjones »

Well, Mighty Mouse, your suggestion didn't work. It turned my background black instead of transparent. Any more bright ideas?

PS-I am in the process of upgrading to 5.0.
Jonsie
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Jonsie,

Sounds like I offended you with the "head smack" comment. If so, sorry... just having a little fun, only because you included both "transparent" and "" in your original post, and I thought it ironic that those were the options to use.

Using "" or "transparent" was how I always used to set the Mouse Off Background Color element of the style array so that the menu's background became transparent. I just tried it in a test menu, using v3.5.15, and it worked fine in ie5.5, ie6, ns7, op6.05, and op7 under win2k. Do you, by chance, have an older release of version 3 (transparency was not supported in older releases, if I recall correctly)? Also as I recall, the only browser that had problems with this was NS4... and I seem to remember that it turned the background black. Are you using NS4? I can't recall a fix for that, so I don't know if there is one. I'll have a look around and see if I can come up with a brighter idea.

Again, sorry if I offended you.

Cheers,

Kevin
cjones
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cjones »

For some reason when I set BOTH the border and the mouse off to transparent it worked, eventhough I still have a border. But I don't mind the border.

Don't worry about offending me. It is just that I am an English major who has had to learn HTML because...nevermind, long story. You were just the straw that broke the camels back. I apologize.

Now if I can just get my verticle menu to look like I want, I will be a happy camper (waiting on a reply from Dave).
Jonsie