User browser conflict

A forum for, well, anything really.
Gripes, moans, ideas or just general chit chat. EXCEPT SPAM!!! - Don't just register to post here - IT WILL GET DELETED!!!
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

User browser conflict

Post by Maz »

Say... I have a witch doctor in a remote jungle decided to take a look at modern science, his friend says try his very old computer with a bad connection. ;)

How about this solution... I have a site map, I place the link under the menu, on load I detect his browser is bad medicine, remove the menu to reveal the site map link from which he can navigate back and forth.

Do you have a simple solution?

Have fun
maz
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Yeah put the links in there all the time, and then just place your menu over it. The links will never show (maybe when printing), and you could put a if else statement around whether or not to include the script tags to the menu based on the browser. On my intranet, I put a neat little message under the menu bar like ...loading dynamic menu... or ...main menu system... so they see that when they print.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Hi Dave,

Do you know the correct detect browser code for that, I haven't spotted one yet. I don't want to eliminate my own browser even though its a bit older, IE 5.1.6

Thank you
maz
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

THere are a bunch of different ways of doing it, plus you should try and learn alittle about it as you're doing it. So I think you'd be better off looking here http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ser+Detect abd you will get alot of examples.
Best of luck!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Good one, thanks for the link. :)

My question should be what browsers should I be detecting, would that be anything less than IE, NS, version number?

I'll have to take another look at the milonic site and see if I can figure it out when I have time.

I just realized that I'm running into problems with different browsers and need to reconsider the layout of vertical menu. Doesn't look like there is a way of avoiding table bound to hold the % of total page together.

maz
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I'm just curious, but I've heard that with so many browsers out there detection of browser is not the way to go but rather detection of what they do or render or something. Sorry, I don't know how to express it. Something about instead of if netscape 4, you'd do if whatever it can render, read, something like that. I'm sure you guys know what I mean. :lol:

Ruth
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Yeah thats very true, because as things change and new browsers come out, there may be changes in how certain things work. What you are saying is that instead of saying if(ie), you say if( document.all ). This ensures that this page will work with any browswer that supports document.all, not just ie. Because lets say the next version of netscape starts supporting document.all, and you were banning netscape browsers from viewing your page, you'd be incorrectly banning people based on browser. Some of those articles discuss this dilemma, but basically the big ones are IE, Netscape, Opera, Konquerer, Mozilla-based, & Safari.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

I found 2 articles about browser sniffing
http://www.webreference.com/programming ... /sniffing/
but I have a hard time understanding how to implement it.

Any chance of a sample browser sniffer to work with the menu?

regards
maz
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

The menu does do its own browser sniffing...its done inside milonic_src. Thats how it decides whether to use the code in mmenudom (for IE or IE-similar) browsers or mmenuns4 (for netscape-like/mozilla browsers).
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

I want a trained mercury sniffer dog.
Can I have a Doberman? :P

so... using a browser sniffer to disable, might conflict with menu sniffer?

or you might end up with puppy sniffers. :D

silly
maz
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Naw if you want to implement one, you can. If you use your new sniffer to decide whether to include the menu code, the menu sniffer won't ever get started if your first sniffer decides against displaying the menu, since the menu sniffer code is in the milonic_src file.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer