Pre Purchase Questions

A forum for, well, anything really.
Gripes, moans, ideas or just general chit chat. EXCEPT SPAM!!! - Don't just register to post here - IT WILL GET DELETED!!!
dishmann
Beginner
Beginner

Pre Purchase Questions

Post by dishmann »

First of all
nice job !!!!
In my humble opinion (I've evaluated many DHTML menu "sub-systems" over the past 2 months) milonic is the best DHTML menu I've seen.

I actually started evaluating v3 and the jump to v5 shows your commitment to quality. The purchase price is even reasonable.

However, I need to know the following before I commit...

1) Default "Milonic Menu"
As much as I like your product, I hope that after purchasing a license I have control over: if the default "Milonic Menu" appears and or where it shows up.

As a software developer I have no problem giving credit where due, (in this case it certainly is due and would make me look good in that I demonstrate employment of third party tools effectively), I just want control over where the credit shows up. This can also work against you or me. For instance the plans for my menu is to list my products in the main menu (I develop PC based small business apps). The default "Milonic Menu" (which shows up as the "First" menu item) can give users the wrong perception that Milonic Menu is my product.

2) Are there functions in the "supporting" code that I could use to tell other javascript in my pages what browser they are running in without "re-inventing" the wheel. I currently do this to discern between the IE or NS browsers however, as your menu supports many other browsers, I would like my pages to respond to the browsers you support. In other words if your menu system does not support the browser the code is currently running in I plan to re-direct to a less sophistcated page.

If I have chosen an inaapropriate medium to request this information, please let me know who or where I can ask these questions before I purchase.

Thanx for your great product I hope my issues/requests are a minor concern for you.

Thanx
Dishmann
John
 Team
 Team

Re: Pre Purchase Questions

Post by John »

dishmann wrote:First of all
nice job !!!!
In my humble opinion (I've evaluated many DHTML menu "sub-systems" over the past 2 months) milonic is the best DHTML menu I've seen.
Many thanks for the kind words. You will not find anybody better than Andy in his care and concern, not only for the product, but the customer as well.
dishmann wrote:1) Default "Milonic Menu"
As much as I like your product, I hope that after purchasing a license I have control over: if the default "Milonic Menu" appears and or where it shows up.
When you purchase a license there is no longer a 'forced' link anywhere in the menu. It is expected, however, that you will provide a link back to us somewhere.
dishmann wrote:2) Are there functions in the "supporting" code that I could use to tell other javascript in my pages what browser they are running in without "re-inventing" the wheel. I currently do this to discern between the IE or NS browsers however, as your menu supports many other browsers, I would like my pages to respond to the browsers you support. In other words if your menu system does not support the browser the code is currently running in I plan to re-direct to a less sophistcated page.
The JS calls to the menu look like this...

Code: Select all

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>	
<script language=JavaScript>
if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");		
else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>"); 
</script>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="menu_data.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
As I'm sure you can see, it decides what menu module to call based on the browser in use. I'm not the JS guy around here, but I'm sure something can be worked out. Dave will chime in on this.
John
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Right you are John. :) Yeah once you purchase a license you are free to use the tools in the menu as you please. Browser detection is pretty common and farely straightforward and if Andy is already doing it for you in the menu, then by all means, use it. You just can't sell a product called the 'browser detector' for instance, that you claim can detect browsers and have it be Andy's code your selling....but I gather thats not your intent.

In the milonic_src file there is the script towards the beginning that does the detection. He sets a couple variables as you will see based on that. You can use those same variables throughout your pages or you can pull out the little bit that does the browser stuff and use it to redirect your pages based on it. Andy, feel free to correct me on this one, but I think thats pretty much how it goes. ;)
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Here's a list of what we look for.
ie - generic for ie
ie4 - IE 4.0
ie5 - IE 5.0
ie55 - IE5.5 and IE6.0
ns6 - Netscape 6
sfri - Safari
ns4 - Netscape 4.x
ns61 - Netscape 6.1
ns7 - Netscape 7+
op - generic opera
op5 - Opera 5
op6 - Opera 6
op7 - Opera 7
mac - Mac IE
mac45 - Mac IE 4.5
mac50 - Mac IE 5.0
IEDtD - Doctype declared for IE.
The value of the left is the variable name set true or false depending on the environment.

Oh and we've no objection to you using the variables, I agree that there is no point re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers
Andy