Mini-icons

A forum for, well, anything really.
Gripes, moans, ideas or just general chit chat. EXCEPT SPAM!!! - Don't just register to post here - IT WILL GET DELETED!!!
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

No Chance.

He's allowed at least 30mins menu-free time per day :!:
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

30 minutes :!: :!: :!: Good grief - slacker :roll:

Well, now at least 1 person has posted that she can download OK, so - fergit it :? Folks just don't think things through...
John
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

Hi again,

If theres any requests to go in the image pack thingy let me know and I'll try and incorporate them over the next couple of days.

Marty
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Hey Marty, good to see you up on here again. You got a break from school?
I think the images thing is a good idea. But I don't think you should just put them out there...they should only be for people with licenses. Theres gotta be somethin on this site you have to pay for..haha.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I agree with Dave. Paid license access only. If Andy doesn't agree tell him we're comin' over there to hold his head under water... :oops:
John
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

Ye the original plan was to charge everybody for the pack but it isn't quite finished so we decided to give it to those who've paid until we release it properly.

Marty
Neil82591
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Neil82591 »

I noticed if you use alot of image icons it takes forever to get the menu to load. Is there a way to make this happen faster?

Thanks
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

I personally am unsure, but I would think so. Maybe something along the lines up as the menu is rendered, image placeholders are thrown into the menu. Only top level menus have their images immediately brought in. Then once the menu is finished loading, the images are then sources to the placeholders...to the menu comes up quick but the images follow. But wouldnt you want a menu to load in its entirety? I would say dont use to many images if your menu loads slow...ya gotta draw the line somewhere.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

I seem to recall a time in version 3 when a menu image only loaded when the menu containing it was first displayed. Of course, that caused performance delays as the site visitor used the menus. So, many of us wrote little image caching scripts to get around that. I think image caching was then built into the v3 menu to resolve the performance delay. But that leads to the reverse problem: a loading delay caused by too many images being cached ahead of time. Perhaps there could be an option to cache images or not. It would work well as another global or, even better, as a menu property, with the default being to cache.

Dave has a good point about the number of images and "drawing the line." One has to consider what will produce the best experience for the site visitors: lots of cool images at the expense of loading time (especially for dial-up users), or faster load time at the expense of fewer images.

Neil... just curious... have you had a chance to try my suggestions from the other thread?

Kevin
Neil82591
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Neil82591 »

Yes it just doesn't take care of the problem.

For now I have taken all the images from teh sub menu and I am looking for a way to have tehm load only after the entire page is loaded thus making sure it does not effect the home page from loading the other nessecary things.

Thanks
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Neil82591 wrote:Yes it just doesn't take care of the problem.
Bummer :?
For now I have taken all the images from teh sub menu and I am looking for a way to have tehm load only after the entire page is loaded thus making sure it does not effect the home page from loading the other nessecary things.
I have another idea or two... I'll post them in the original thread.

Kevin