Zero Replies

A forum for, well, anything really.
Gripes, moans, ideas or just general chit chat. EXCEPT SPAM!!! - Don't just register to post here - IT WILL GET DELETED!!!
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Zero Replies

Post by bobwill »

When I or someone submits a question or problem, and after several days it has been viewed numerous times, but the are no replies, I would assume that no one knows the answer or understands the problem. However, I do assume that the moderators of the forum are one of the viewers. I would think it would be appropriate for a moderator to state in a reply, that "We have looked at your issue and do not have an answer", or suggest that we repharse or give better details, rather than just letting the question fade away into the "zero" replies category.

Is there a way to know if a moderator has taken a look at the issue??
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Bob,

Your frustration is understandable. Not to speak for the moderators, but let me make a counterpoint, if I may. I often peruse the help forum specifically looking for threads with 0 replies. I figure those are probably higher priority, since they obviously haven't received an answer yet. I'll often skip topics that have received at least one reply, especially if the latest reply is from a moderator or a regular forum contributer, figuring that the problem is already solved or is in progress. Sometimes I'll come back to those later, just out of interest and to see if I can contribute anything. I guess my long-winded point is that the "0 replies" -- at least for me -- is an attention grabber. If you notice that the number of views is steadily increasing, you'll at least know that people are looking at it. It's also perfectly polite and acceptable to "bump" your thread back to the top of the list by posting your own reply to it; bringing it to the top of the list may serve as a reminder to folks that the problem is ongoing.

FYI: I was one of the people who viewed your topic, but I am at a loss as to what's going on.
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Thanks for you reply Kevin. I knew that I could bump up my issue, but I did not want to do that, because I thought it would be interpreted as being "pushy". Since I have a problem with RC 23 I guess I will wait for RC 24 and see if the problem goes away. In the mean time I will stay with RC 21.

Also I think that I have seen you make replies concerning Opera 6. Do you use Opera 6? An image map within my site does not work right with Opera 6, but does with Opera 7. Opera 6 does not recognize the right edge of the window and when you mouse over a menu item they go off the screen to the right. http://www.baseball.legion.org Look under "World Series/Location Map"
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Bob,
bobwill wrote:Thanks for you reply Kevin. I knew that I could bump up my issue, but I did not want to do that, because I thought it would be interpreted as being "pushy"...
I wouldn't worry too much about an occasional bump, especially if it's accompanied by a nice explanation. Bumps are not uncommon on message boards (as you probably know), and especially with you... you've been around these forums for a long time; everybody knows you're a nice guy!
Also I think that I have seen you make replies concerning Opera 6. Do you use Opera 6? An image map within my site does not work right with Opera 6, but does with Opera 7. Opera 6 does not recognize the right edge of the window and when you mouse over a menu item they go off the screen to the right.
Yeah... I've helped out on occasion with Opera 6; used to be that it was a major pain for some people. Do I use it? Nope. In fact, I despise it almost as much as I do NS4.7 ;) I only have it installed for testing purposes.

I did have a look at that image map issue back when you first posted it, but had no suggestions for a solution. On revisiting, I think the problem you're experiencing isn't related to the image map or to your use of popup() to display the menus. You'll notice the same problem with your regular menus (from your main menu at the top) if you resize the browser. I also see it, for example, in Opera 6 with the standard Horizontal Navbar sample... to see it, narrow the browser window then open the "My Milonic" menu (farthest to the right); it overflows the right side of the browser window and gets clipped instead of moving to the left as it will in other browsers. The "Menu Samples" menu also overflows at the bottom: no location adjustment and no scrollbar. This generality makes me pretty certain that its a failure of the menu system's anticollision techniques when used in Opera 6. I have no idea what's causing this failure and therefore no suggestion for a solution; only that it's not related to your specific implementation. It's probably worthy of "bug status".

I can't recall where you posted the topic originally? Was it in the "Bugs" thread? If not, I would suggest posting it as a bug. If it's already there, then I'd assume that Andy already knows about it and that a fix is forthcoming. I'm headed to the Bugs topic now myself, because in looking at your issue, I've noticed another one.

Kevin
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Hey Bob, sorry about that. You gotta understand we try and hit as many posts as we can and some do happen to fall to the wayside. Yes, there are sometimes that I view a post, don't know the answer, but since its still relatively new, I dont respond because maybe someone else may happen to get at it. In that meantime, many new posts appear on the forum and that posts drifts down the list. I know I look at the top most newest posts, its really the only way I can go through this forum and help out without being stuck in here over 2 hours a day and let my other duties suffer. If I posted to posts even if I didn't know the answer, I would be posting to alot of posts! ;)
Definetly a bump up post helps us on here. We are not ignoring you. Its just those people that aren't polite about it and do a bump up post 3 hours after initially posting asking why nobody has answered that get under my skin. Grr. Most of the time after a bump up and I notice it and see it has 200 views, I may post then to see what other options may help, like re-stating the problem or something to that effect.

But thanks for keeping us on our toes!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."