Browser help, please

A forum for, well, anything really.
Gripes, moans, ideas or just general chit chat. EXCEPT SPAM!!! - Don't just register to post here - IT WILL GET DELETED!!!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Browser help, please

Post by Ruth »

Alright, from one who takes a looooonog time to move to something new and always tries to keep the old so if I have trouble with the new I can go back and keep my frustration level down..... Is there a way to put internet explorer on my pc in two versions? When I had ie4 [years ago] and I tried to put ie5...it just went right over 4 and I lost it. So, is there any way to have two of them, I can do it with opera and netscape. Thanks so much.

Ruth
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

I had a look on the web and found this:

As far as I know it's not possible to run two version of IE under a
single OS.
There are a number of applications that emulate a PC using so that you
can run as many OS's as you see fit.

VMware's Virtual machine
http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/

Connectix's Virtual PC
http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5w.html

I use Virtual PC and it's works like a dream. Really great for testing.
Hope this helps

Egor Kloos

Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Thanks so much, that answers my question. But, I can't get to the links, the first says forbidden, the second one just keeps givng me the 'finding site' and then page cannot be displayed. But, at least I know I can't have two IE's... But, another question. If I take the ie5 and put it on disk, and installed the newer version... for whatever reason if I wanted to go back, could I then reinstall the 5, or does MS which has a dominance issue of always wanting to control every danged little thing prevent that?

Ruth
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Ruth,

What version of Windows are you running, and what versions of IE do you want to install?

Kevin
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Kev,

I'm running win98 and right now I have ie5. I want to try out the later versions [actually, this works fine, but I can't see all the dissolves or fades and stuff everyone is talking about..... I know it sounds nuts, but it just takes a while to get used to the new stuff.... :roll: [trying to find settings and things that I used to know where they were, but have now been hidden someplace else] and I hate being frustrated. Heck, life is frustrating enough. :lol:

Ruth
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Ruth,

What you want to do is possible with Win98.

First, I'd recommend updating to the latest release of IE6 as your "main" browser that you use every day, for security reasons. Then, you can make stand-alone installations of IE5.5, 5, 4, and 3 for testing. "Stand-alone?" you say... "but that's not possible!" Well, despite Microsoft's claims to the U.S. Department of Justice, it is possible... at least to a point. Here is an interesting article describing the idea, as well as giving instructions for a "do-it-yourself" person. If you'd rather have most of the work already done, this page has the necessary files already packaged in nice neat zip files. All you have to do is download the versions you want -- one zip per version -- and unzip each version's download to its own own separate folder. (Make sure you get the Win98 files). Each folder now contains a stand-alone installation of a different version of IE... just rin the iexplore.exe (or make shortcuts to it) to start. I've been doing this on Win2k for a while, and it works quite well. I just tried the IE5.01 download on a Win98 machine that currently has IE5.5 installed, and both work fine.

I don't know if you'll be able to keep IE5 as your main browser, and have later versions installed as stand-alones, but I suppose you could try it by following the principals described in the article I pointed to.

Note that when you do the above, using Help|About will show that you're using IE6, no matter which one you are actually using, but you will actually be running the browser version whose iexplore.exe file you opened, and javascript browser sniffing reports the older versions correctly.

Hope that helps,

Kevin
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Thanks so much, Kevin. It works...well the old ones do. I have to upgrade of course to get the 5.5 to work. I wonder just how much more control 6 will take of my computer :(

Ruth
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

innkeeper9 wrote:Thanks so much, that answers my question. But, I can't get to the links, the first says forbidden, the second one just keeps givng me the 'finding site' and then page cannot be displayed. But, at least I know I can't have two IE's... But, another question. If I take the ie5 and put it on disk, and installed the newer version... for whatever reason if I wanted to go back, could I then reinstall the 5, or does MS which has a dominance issue of always wanting to control every danged little thing prevent that?

Ruth
That's because Microsoft has bought them :-( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virt ... ew2004.asp

Expect what was once a class product to be completely full of bugs.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

No wonder I couldn't get it. But, at least the fix Kevin gave works. For how long? I guess until Microsoft figures out how to fix their newer browser versions so it prevent that. :( Is there any other browser that's pretty good to try and not too hard to figure out about installing, setting up and using...oh how lazy we get when everything has been done for us.... I have opera...maybe I'll buy it one day and get rid of the ads.

Ruth
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Are you looking for this:

http://www.skyzyx.com/archives/000094.php

Regards,
maz
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Thanks Maz. I take it your were referring to the Mozilla... :oops: I didn't even see that the first time I went. I got the browser but I can't get sound and can't get any real good help on their site. Boy, if that reviewer didn't think this help forum which is so great was all that good, she'd be spitting wooden nickels about that one. It's too bad because it sure is a quick little browser, but I will use it to at least see how my pages look as I edit.

Ruth