Followscroll

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Followscroll

Post by Maz »

Mac IE 5.1.7 I have take off in table, position relative, but no launch.

Background is going down but menu skeleton remains in place.
I do have a character error I'm searching for, background is moving;)

Couple of questions, is it safe to use apostrope in text?
What is text=bold? typestyle="bold"; doesn't respond.

Regards
maz
link_www_
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

post removed. Discovered the problem wasn't the menu.

However, the menu background is still moving down the page leaving the skeleton links in place. Submenu is not opening.

script in table, followscroll, position=relative.

maz
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Today's mac IE 5.1.7 update:

I placed the main menu items in the table, submenus opened, but the menu wouldn't move from vertical alignment middle.

I tried placing background in menu items since it was the only thing moving with followscroll, then only border moved with followscroll.

I went back to script in table, because it works for everyone else. Now the top position is lower than it should be.

I'm thinking of using css to replace table. Any suggestions?

Thanks
maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

OS X/Safari...

Tools menu scrolls, images are there, but there is no text at all (white on white, maybe?). If you mouseOver the menu text then appears in red. If you then happen to hit a sub-menu, it opens directly on top of the Tools menu, rather than offset to the right.

IE5.1.7...

Ah, an aqua background has appeared, and white text (that explains the above). Subs do not open at all, and I see the background scrolling but not the menu items.

Goofy. Heading for your code...
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

I ended up with 3 different sets of code trying things out, they got muddled. Something still needs fixing back to what I had originally.

Sorry about that :?
maz
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

My menus are all cleanedup and working.

Has anyone else noticed that left=2 main in table bound is not responding now?

maz -www- link
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hey, Maz - there be tools menus here :!: And they all scroll together, and the subs no longer fall on top of the main. And all this in Safari, too. The only thing I see wrong here is a couple of the horizontal menu sub definitions are too wide for the sub background.

5.1.7, however, still is in trouble. The background comes in too low, only the background scrolls, and there are no subs.
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

John, I looked at sai, home and tech background fill the page.

I've taken off itemwidth on submenus, does it adjust correctly? In my browser the submenu grew with text, itemwidth acted as minimum width.

Followscroll worked perfectly in a div, but not on a pc. Would a ul box make any difference?

Thank you,
maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Heh, that's one combination I hadn't tested that page against. However, I'm getting slightly different failures than you are.

The only menu for me that fills the page with background is Home/ASU Sites/Student Affairs. That also happens to be the only overflow/scroll menu on the page. Possible connection (in the Andy department)?

I also find that the menus don't always drop on a mouseOver - sometimes I have to click to get the sub. It's also random - not the same menu fails every time.

That one is running RC13 - took most of the week off and wasn't there when 14 came out.

Thanks for the catch, but unless Andy finds a bug (overflow=background fill) I'm not going to worry about it.
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

John, none of my subs do that now, only main horizontal 'right' screenposition on first load. But then I avoided sub/sub and scroll.

Maybe tied to the parent of the sub, but I think it has something to do with itemwidth or height.

Regards
maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

maz wrote:Maybe tied to the parent of the sub, but I think it has something to do with itemwidth or height.
Neither of which I'm using in that setup.

I hate old browsers... :cry:
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

I took the menu out of table, first background splashed the page, I took of all sizes, then put bgimage in every item except type=header, that worked, no background image spill.

Next I have border taking on bgimage color on right side, took off border.

Next I have shadow extending full page, right and down, from top left corner, can't get rid of it. Maybe its because the first item is a header.

Still have submenus opening on the opposite side of the page. I have an idea on this, when I use css I cannot group properties, followscroll groups properties, what if there was a way to separate the property following followscroll so it read each property seperately; ; ; ? ---okay maybe they are values ;) like the only example in css that works for me is bottom-border: 1px red; that I have all over my site. I've tried other groups but they just get ignored.

Otherwise it appears the page links are working underneath this, which was the major problem with having followscroll out of a table.

Laterz
maz
-www-
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Email sent - major problems...
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

John, its been a problem solving day, so here is what I have for you.

Where your background overflows, look to the parent with itemwidth or itemheight, make either of those the first item in the string. Sounds weird, but let me know if it works.

Regards,
maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

maz wrote:Where your background overflows, look to the parent with itemwidth or itemheight, make either of those the first item in the string. Sounds weird, but let me know if it works.
As mentioned above, not using either of those in that setup.
John