Position of SubMenus in Netscape 7

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
jeanne@jardinediapers.com
Beginner
Beginner

Position of SubMenus in Netscape 7

Post by jeanne@jardinediapers.com »

Using N7, the submenus always show in the same place on the page. So if you have not scrolled down on the page it looks fine. If you scroll down the page the submenu appear as far away from the main menu as you have scrolled down.
http://www.cloth-diaper.com/menutest.asp
The version 3 menu that I an using does not do that. The submenus appear right next to the menu where I want them.
http://www.cloth-diaper.com/default.asp

The Milonic sample vertical menu has the same problem.

Jeanne
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Looking at the v5 link in Safari85.5, NS7.1, and IE5.2.3 (all Mac), I see exactly the same thing in all 3 browsers...

1. ALL sub-menus open exactly where they should, right next to their respective main menu items.

2. The entire menu is 6px from the top of the window (where you told it to be), but your logo graphic is pushed flush left so the menu overlays it.

Suggestion - be extremely careful when editing with FrontPage. It has a nasty habit of doing bad things to the code without telling you, and down the path you go.
John
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Yep... vertical menus are definitely hosed in NS7 (I tried with NS7.0/Win2k). The fact that the vertical sample (sample 2) on the milonic site has the same problem tells us that it's not necessarily Jeanne's implementation causing it. If you download the horizontal sample, switch it to vertical, then display it locally in NS7, you get the same problem. All evidence suggests a bug.

Kevin
Beginner
Beginner

Scroll Down the test page a bit

The V5 page is just a test page that I am using to get the menu looking right. I'm not trying to get the layout right, just looking at how the menu behaves with my blank template page so I can drop it into my other pages.

I don't use Frontpage to edit any .js files. I use Wordpad.

Just to make sure that you are seeing the problem, take a look at the vertical sample linked in the above post. Scroll down the page a bit (say so you cannot see the login button) and then hover over the menu to see the submenus. They appear down the page. They are only in the correct position when the page is scrolled to the top.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

OK, NS7.1 is now showing the failure you point out (on Windoze). My testing last night was on Mac. While it's a better system, browsers there tend to be more picky and show errors first. This is the second instance today where it's been the other way around - Mac works, Windoze fails.
jeanne@jardinediapers.com wrote:I don't use Frontpage to edit any .js files. I use Wordpad.
I was just going by the editor meta I saw in your code. What I said still holds.
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

RC15 built at 15:30 British Summer Time (it's not britsh summer outside though)

Should fix the problem.

Cheers
Andy
Beginner
Beginner

Still the same

I downloaded the new file and put all of the new .js files except menu_data.js into my site. I reloaded the page and still see the same problem with the submenus not showing up in the right place.

It still looks the same on the milonic sample 2 page as well.

Do I need to do anything to the menu_data file?
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

I can verify... problem still exists.

Kevin
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Works fine for me - Netscape 6 and 7.

Anyone else see this problem?

You have cleared the cache havent you?

-- Andy
Beginner
Beginner

Still the same

I cleared the cache and still see the problem.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

So all of the horizontal menus on milonic.com display the problem after you'ved scrolled down a bit or are we talking about something different?

-- Andy
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

It's OK, I've got it - It's doing it with vertical menus as well. I didn't realise.

New update coming soon, It will stil be RC15 but will be dated 18:00 hours or thereabouts

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

The version you want is Version 5.0 Release Candidate 15.0 Built: Monday October 6 2003 - 18:16

The version that was 22:13 needs to be scrapped as it wasn't quite ready.

Took a while to figure out why it was in the future too, even though the date on the server was correct. Turns out you have to restart Apache when you change the server date. Never knew that till now 8O

Cheers
Andy
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you

Thanks - works great
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »