Lots of bugs...

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
stefan_bgbgbg
Beginner
Beginner

Lots of bugs...

Post by stefan_bgbgbg »

Hi,

This menu may be the most popular but unfortunately it seems that is the one with most bugs, too.

1) When I visit your site with Netscape 4.7 and mouseover the menu some times, the browser just crashes and disappears!
2) The menus doesn't seem to support many style features in Netscape 4.x. Or am I wrong? Please correct me.
3) The menus don't seem to be displayed quite the same in all browsers. Style bugs.
4) The scroll for tall menus is very buggy and seems to work correctly only in Explorer on Windows. In fact this is the only browser that I think is well supported.
5) Bugs and inconvenience in the behavior are notable, too. I am not sure but I think that you are using too many timeouts and this confuses all browsers except Explorer.

I know this is still a RC version but please don't release the official version before taking care of the above.

I hope you will cope with those and will soon provide not only the most popular but also a stable and relyable DHTML menu.

Thanks!
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

1) When I visit your site with Netscape 4.7 and mouseover the menu some times, the browser just crashes and disappears!
That definetly should not be happening. Chances are there is something going wrong over on your side since others have been able to get to the milonic homepage and not crash their browser while viewing it. Try reinstalling?
2) The menus doesn't seem to support many style features in Netscape 4.x. Or am I wrong? Please correct me.
There are a couple quirky things with NS4, yes. You have to understand that ns4 is an old browser and is not used by very many people. Andy has gone to GREAT lengths to get it to work in ns4, HALF of the entire menu code is devoted to the pain in the ass ns4 creates. ;)
3) The menus don't seem to be displayed quite the same in all browsers. Style bugs.
Yeah but thats going to happen in any browser. You make a plain page in HTML with alot of different stuff going in and you'd be lucky to get it to display exactly the same in every browser. Its not the menu's fault, the browser makers should all get together and agree on some sort of standard, well actually thats what the w3c is for, but apparently its not working very well. hehe
4) The scroll for tall menus is very buggy and seems to work correctly only in Explorer on Windows. In fact this is the only browser that I think is well supported.
Yeah Andy is working with this one. AS you've said, its still RC and Andy is working feverishly to get things done.
5) Bugs and inconvenience in the behavior are notable, too. I am not sure but I think that you are using too many timeouts and this confuses all browsers except Explorer.
Not sure on that one. Its all in the way the browser interprets the javascript and timers are a standard item in the javascript library.

Trust in Milonic, this menu is the best and will continue to only get better. The menu is outstanding as is and you got a guy like Andy pushing it all to make it even better!! Thanks for choosing Milonic!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
stefan_bgbgbg
Beginner
Beginner

Post by stefan_bgbgbg »

1) That definetly should not be happening. Chances are there is something going wrong over on your side since others have been able to get to the milonic homepage and not crash their browser while viewing it. Try reinstalling?
I am using Netscape 4.7 (also tried with 4.03) but the result is still a crash. BTW it also appears with the download sample not only on the site.
There are a couple quirky things with NS4, yes. You have to understand that ns4 is an old browser and is not used by very many people. Andy has gone to GREAT lengths to get it to work in ns4, HALF of the entire menu code is devoted to the pain in the ass ns4 creates.
Yeah, you damn right about Netscape 4.x :)
Yeah but thats going to happen in any browser. You make a plain page in HTML with alot of different stuff going in and you'd be lucky to get it to display exactly the same in every browser. Its not the menu's fault, the browser makers should all get together and agree on some sort of standard, well actually thats what the w3c is for, but apparently its not working very well. hehe
I don't agree with you here. Sorry! I found that another menu supports perfectly the same look on almost all possible browsers- Smartmenus . I think Andy has got much work to do to catchup with it. But the Milonic's menu seems to have more features, which on the other hand is great!
Yeah Andy is working with this one. AS you've said, its still RC and Andy is working feverishly to get things done.
I hope he kills this bug very soon :)))
Not sure on that one. Its all in the way the browser interprets the javascript and timers are a standard item in the javascript library.
You may be right :? Not quite sure too...
Trust in Milonic, this menu is the best and will continue to only get better. The menu is outstanding as is and you got a guy like Andy pushing it all to make it even better!! Thanks for choosing Milonic!
Not quite sure after I found the menu I mentioned above, but it's surely one of the best! I am looking forward to the final release eagerly! Hope it will be soon :)

Greets!
Monica
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Monica »

Versions of Netscape 4 do not support many of the standard HTML functions that are commonly used today. It seems to be a trend in the developer community that in order to move forward developers cannot cater to such backwards compatible browsers. I, personally, detect netscape 4 and shunt users to upgrade. Such a small percentage of users actually browse with Netscape 4's.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Monica wrote:I, personally, detect netscape 4 and shunt users to upgrade. Such a small percentage of users actually browse with Netscape 4's.
Boy, do I ever like that attitude (seriously!). Wish I could get my place to let me do that.
John
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

John,
It might be worth your wild to take a week and physically walk to every computer and upgrade it yourself! It would be a pain in the ass, but the head aches it eliminates might make it worth it! Haha :lol:
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Unfortunately it would take more than a week, Dave. They're concerned with the folks coming in from off-campus who won't be able to view the sites. My response, however, is still the same - upgrade. They say not everybody knows how (we get that from the staff, too!). Response - how can you do your job or expect to get through school (given the importance of computers these days) if you don't know the basic operations of your system?
John
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Oh my gosh, I don't even have to deal with these people, yet I am getting upset for you! Thats ridiculous if you ask me. College campuses are notorious for being on the bleeding edge of technology and yours should be no different. I think that just stinks for you! :evil:
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hergio wrote:Thats ridiculous if you ask me. College campuses are notorious for being on the bleeding edge of technology and yours should be no different. I think that just stinks for you! :evil:
Agreed (and thank you!). Anybody who has to write around NS4 knows the extra times it takes. What a waste. Genuine bummer...
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

This all sums up what we are already thinking, the more we support the older browsers the less inclined people are to upgrade.

So you will see features appear in the latest browser that leave the older ones behind.

If we all stick together on this one, perhaps the Internet will move forward a little faster.

Can you get the latest movies on Betamax format? Or the latest tunes on 8 track? I don't think so. It's the same thing and as most of the hits on sites are web developers testing with Netscape 4.0 kinda makes it pointless.

Don't get me wrong though, we will still support Netscape just don't expect it to be great that's all.

Cheers
Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

How 'bout talking to my boss for me, Andy? I'm all talked out... :?
John