milonic and video (menu appear under the video)

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
atypic
Beginner
Beginner

milonic and video (menu appear under the video)

Post by atypic »

http://www.energiecardio.com/fr/video.php?video=fumer

look at this page, pass your mouse on "services" the sub-menu appear under the video. can i do something to correct this?

patrick
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Patrick,
I'm sorry to say, that as far as I know, and have been able to find out, there's no way to fix it except by layout. There was a question about this problem earlier and it is something to do with windows and windows media player and IE. I'm not technical so I don't have the words to explain what's happening, but in effect with Windows OS and IE and Windows Media Player, when the player actually begins streaming the video it's as if the video is no longer part of the page, more like it's part of the OS [computer], so the menu doesn't drop over it. I notice you're using version 5.36. You might try updating to the newest version 5.42, but I don't think it will fix that. It's something that will happen with windows media player and the IE browser, and it's not limited to Milonic, but as far as I know to any dhtml menu. There is something called the divhider.js file which you can find in the samples and that works to hide elements that cause problems with layered content like flash or applets but it will not work with the media player. Well, it works with the player if there's nothing playing but as soon as there is streaming content then it doesn't work. If you have netscape you can test and you will see that everything works fine in that browser, the menu drops over the windows media player, same thing with Firebird .07 [firefox] I'm assuming that's because at that point it's the 'browser' controlling the player, not the OS that is interacting with the browser, like windows does with IE.

I looked at your page and the only suggestions I can make are a.) move the player to the left side, or b.) make the submenu for services a horizontal menu, or c.) shift that menu bar and the silver part below down a enough so that you can open the submenus up instead of down. I was going to suggest that you switch 'services' and 'conseils' however you have the player fixed in place so it when the page is resized smaller the menu shifts left but the player doesn't shift as far enough left to keep services from opening over it. I"m using IE 5.5 at 800x600 and resized the window to 640x480 but not the resolution.

Ruth
speedware
Beginner
Beginner

This problem is also present in Firefox and Netscape

Post by speedware »

Hi Ruth, I'm sorry to say but this problem is also present in both Firefox and Netscape. When embedding a video file within a page the menu items show under rather than over it. Worse in the case of both Firefox and Netscape as you get the problem even when the video is not streaming which at least works fine in IE.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I think you'll have to talk to Milonic or search the web about dhtml menus and streaming video things. This is beyond my knowledge level.

Ruth