V.3.4.11 doesn't fix "vibrating" Follow Scrolling

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
dagon
Advanced
Advanced

V.3.4.11 doesn't fix "vibrating" Follow Scrolling

Post by dagon »

I have still problems with the Follow Scrolling property: also with version 3.4.11 the menu appears vibrating...
Win Xp and IE 6.0.2600.0000!
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I just set up my first 'scroller' last week and, under the same setup as you, initially had exactly the same problem - the menu would scroll down the screen but when trying to stop it would have a siezure. Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how I fixed it, but now it's working as advertised. I think I simply had a setting messed up someplace - double-check everything. My development page is at http://www.west.asu.edu/cspc/e-steps/selfdisc2.htm (no comments about the colors, please - it's not finished yet and I'm on vacation!). 8)
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

This problem should be solved with version 3.4.12

Cheers
Andy
dagon
Advanced
Advanced

Post by dagon »

No, the problem persists also with version .12 and also with other browsers, for example mozilla 1.0. I'm sorry but I cannot put an example online for the moment...
greetz!
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Have you attached the menu to a table cell with the PlaceMenu command by any chance?

You can email a copy of your menu_array.js file to andy@milonic.com and I'll take a look at it.

- Andy
Leafy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leafy »

I too get this problem of "vibrating menus" when I try to set Follow Scrolling to 1. I have attached my menu to a table cell with the PlaceMenu command, and am using a slightly older version of the menu builder (3.4.05). Does anyone know if this "feature" has been corrected in a later version? ;)
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Leafy wrote:I too get this problem of "vibrating menus" when I try to set Follow Scrolling to 1. I have attached my menu to a table cell with the PlaceMenu command, and am using a slightly older version of the menu builder (3.4.05). Does anyone know if this "feature" has been corrected in a later version? ;)
Running mine on the current (apparently 3.5.02) version with no longer any problems. See http://westcgi.west.asu.edu/sai/ and http://www.west.asu.edu/cspc/steps/intro.htm . The first uses 5 moving graphics to handle the main menu and the script to generate the subs. The second uses the script to generate everything.
John
Leafy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leafy »

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I am now using the latest version too (3.5.02) and still get the problem. I've taken a look at your HTML source and (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't appear to be using the "PlaceMenu" command to position the menu in a cell :?:

If this is the case then maybe it is related to that?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Leafy wrote:Thanks for the reply Andy.

I am now using the latest version too (3.5.02) and still get the problem. I've taken a look at your HTML source and (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't appear to be using the "PlaceMenu" command to position the menu in a cell :?:

If this is the case then maybe it is related to that?
The elevation in status to 'Andy' is most appreciated, but it's just me (John) ;)

As for placing the menu within a cell - yes, I do not :!: While there is a cell there it is simply for moving the text to the right (a margin holder, if you will). The menu is positioned in the usual way with the Top and Left statements.
John
Leafy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leafy »

What planet was I on when I wrote that :oops: . I guess I've been reading too many posts by Andy.....mind you I've read an awful lot posted by yourself too.

I figured that was what you'd done, however my main page table is centred in the browser window and therefore my menu is not in a fixed position from the Left (it depends on the size of the browser window), which is the problem. Otherwise I could implement it in the same way that you have.

Any suggestions?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Not to worry (about the name thing)!

Assuming you've looked at http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/menusampl ... ampleid=21 I don't have any suggestions since I've never used that 'feature'. You might want to try reposting in 'Help & Assistance' just in case everybody isn't looking in here.
John
Leafy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leafy »

Thanks again for your reply. I've taken a look at the URL reference in your last post and this is indeed what I have done. It does say that "...this technique is....not recommended..." and (more importantly) "...the use of Follow Scrolling will have unpredictable results with this technique.". I guess that's it then. Oh well, no moving menu on the site. :roll:

If you're interested, here's the site in question - without Follow Scrolling!
http://www.burpham.surrey.sch.uk

Cheers
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Leafy wrote:I guess that's it then. Oh well, no moving menu on the site. :roll:
Why not? Do what I did - use a cell as a margin but don't place the menu within the cell. Just use the top and left commands to put your menu where you want it and use scrolling!

Works fer me :D
John