menu and directory file structure (again)

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
biographie
Advanced
Advanced

menu and directory file structure (again)

Post by biographie »

I must be the dumbest person trying to use this menu. I just can't get it working with the files in different locations. FYI - I have not posted any of my pages to my website, I have strictly been trying to preview them on my local machine. I am using GoLive 6. When I test out Andy's examples in a signal directory they work without any problems. But I can't figure out what everyone else is doing to make the menu work when you move files around. I will try to explain my exact layout:

Top level, one file, three directories: index.html, (dir) jscripts, (dir) general, (dir) images

Under the jscripts directory I have two directories and a handful of other scripts: rclick.js, resolution.js,..., (dir) menu, (dir)gallery

All the menu scripts (milonic_src.js, mmenudom.js, menuns4.js, table_data.js) I have placed in the menu directory with the menu's images directory as well: /jscripts/menu/

In milonic_src.js I have changed the path to reflect the following: "/jscripts/menu/"

In my index.html the code looks as such:
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="/jscripts/menu/milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="/jscripts/menu/table_data.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

I also have a few pages in the general directory that I want to link to the exact same table_data.js file. I have placed the same code in these pages that appears in the index.html page (even though I would think I need the ../ to get to the menu scripts correctly). I have been told that I can use one _data.js file for all my pages, and I don't have to worry about links using this method, is this true? Do I call out all the url links assuming I am at the top level, or do I make them relative to where the _data.js is located? What exactly does 'server side addressing' mean?

It would seem to me I have two questions: 1 - how to structure the src file path to the menu scripts from the html page calling it, and 2 - within the _data.js file how to structure the file/url paths based on a top level or relative path approach. (Is this making sense?)

From everything I have been told and read, this should work, but nothing happens. It is driving me crazy, I have no clue where to start. I was able to get version 3.x of Andy's menu up in running within an hour of looking at the code. But for some reason, this version 5 is causing me some serious pains.