Ads bump page but not Menu

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Ads bump page but not Menu

Post by selvan777 »

Hi,

When I don't block ads at http://selvan777.tripod.com, the ad at the top of the page bumps my page content down. Is there a way to make the floating horizontal menu bump with it?

Thanks,
Selvan
with the latest free version
Image http://lastborns.surf.to
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Ads bump page but not Menu

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Can you give me a screen shot of what it is supposed to look like and what it looks like? I just went in IE, and FireFox 7 and I see the menu right below the ad at the top of the page, so I'm not understanding what the problem is.

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Hi Ruth,

in Firefox 9 with Adblock Plus enabled:

in Firefox 9 with Adblock Plus disabled:

I think the problem is that "top=115" does not apply itself to "from below the ad" if and when there is an ad, unlike "followscroll=1" which does.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I see now. I didn't try it with adblock enabled. Well, I'm not sure if this would work or not, but have you tried using top="offset=115"; I'm not sure that will do anything differently. It would seem the problem is going to be the ad and the fact the menu cannot distinquish that there is an ad there. I'm not sure how the menu would do something like that.

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the thought. Like you expected though, it didn't do anything differently. Since Tripod is able to display their ad without blocking my content by somehow bumping my page down, perhaps Milonic could apply a similar method for the menu.

Keeping my hopes up.

Thanks
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I have a feeling that it would be excessively involved to get the menu to do that, if it is even possible. Somehow it would have to know the privacy settings, that is, know an ad was being added or blocked, know the height of the space being used, then, because it had already set its own top position based on what's in the data file, it would have to reload itself and move down.

However, looking at the page I had an idea. Why not set the Lastborn line and image at the 115px top setting where you have the menu now, then move the menu down to around 150. I did look at the ad info in view source and it looks like that area is 90px high for the ads. So by putting your The Lastborn at the existing menu position and moving the menu down, that space at the top would always be there for anyone who doesn't have something like adblock.

Not sure how it would work out, you'd have to test it. That's all I can think of right now.

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Hi Ruth,

You may be correct but please don't blame me for being persistent.

It appears Tripod is adding frames to display their ads so as to not block my content. Perhaps it would be simple enough to incorporate a property that offsets the menu based on the top most frame after a set delay or perhaps a property that offsets it from a dedicated html coded target that could be added to the page?

I'm just blindly sharing ideas here, sorry.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I have a solution since they are using something that moves your content down. You can fix everything by adding a table of two rows, one column. In the top row you put the image and text The Last Born. In the bottom rown you put the milonic files. I don't have a clue what all that coding is doing so you'll have to do that, but I will code what is needed for the table so you can see what you need, and you can add whatever is necessary from your stuff. I started it with your codes so you can see where it goes, since it will be above the table you now have.

Code: Select all

<DIV class=WordSection1>
<P class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
<DIV align=center>
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR><TD>THIS GETS THE IMAGE AND THE LASTBORN TEXT</TD>
 <TR>
  <TD vAlign=top align='center'>
             <SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="milonic_src.js"></SCRIPT>
            <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>
if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt type=text/javascript src=mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");		
  else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt type=text/javascript src=mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>"); 
    </SCRIPT>
            <SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="menu_data.js"> </SCRIPT>
            <SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="tooltips.js"></SCRIPT>
            <o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P></td></tr></table>
Then in your menu_data.js file you need to make the menu relative positioned. Go to that main menu and change the coding to this

Code: Select all

with(milonic=new menuname("Main Menu")){	/*in the menu area or in the style area, style=? and any abc=(numbers only) does not take quotes*/
style=StyleMain;
alwaysvisible=1;
followscroll=1;
orientation="horizontal";
margin=3;
position="relative";
menuwidth='100%';
screenposition='center';
This will solve all the problems, because with this table at the top, when the ads show up then the title and the menu just move down and stay as they are because that top table moves down. It looks the same in both IE8 and Firefox 7, and it should look the same in all browser and always remain like your page shows it in the posted image with your adblock plus enabled.

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Hi Ruth,

Thanks so very much for the support, it certainly isn't the first time you've done so!

All that bloated code you see is the result of using Word as a free (already paid for) non-WYSIWYG web editor. Sorry but, what can I say, I'm already familiar with it and it's always worked. I will apply your efforts ASAP and let you know.

May I probe your mind for one other thing not relating to the menu, is it possible to apply the script below into links in the menu?

<script type="text/javascript">
if (top != self) top.location.replace(location);
</script>

aI("text=Milonic;url=http://milonic.com/;");
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Well, you can just about apply any function to a menu item. What is that function? I tried searching it and most of what I got was a 'frame busting' function. Anyway, you would put the function in the top of the menu_data file below the openDelay, subOffset etc part and before the styles, then you'd call it in the item. With some you can use onfunction=functionName, with others you need it in the url=javascript:functionName. I don't see a function name in what you posted, that is what I was trying to search on the web, but since I don't really know what the function is I don't know what to search :)

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Hi Ruth,

Sorry for the delay! Well, I tried your suggestion but it appears to negatively affect followscroll. As far as I can tell, I would need to maintain two separate menus, one for the main page where followscroll isn't needed and another for the other pages.

I've since adjusted the gap between the page title text and the displayed image title text so it's not so wide and am happy with the way it looks with and without the ad being displayed. It would be the ultimate fix though, if the menu could simply be offset from an html code/tag/target within the page itself.

Thanks,
Selvan
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Yes, the followscroll would no longer work since it is a relatively placed menu inside a table. As to maintaining two menus, yes, but in reality you are only maintaining two data files, one for that first page, the other for the rest of the site. An alternative, which some people use when they need to do a relatively placed menu is to have a followscroll little button that says Menu on it and when clicked takes you back to the top of the page where the menu is.

Personally, I don't see a problem with the way it shows up when there is an ad at the top and the Last born text and image go below the menu, as long as you know the actual height of the ad, which does seem to be a fixed height, there shouldn't be a problem.

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Thanks, yes, I would prefer to leave it as is rather than having to maintain two separate js files. But, this is so only because, for those using free hosting services with ads, a relative property, in lieu of a followscroll, is currently the only user-friendly work-around.
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Hi Ruth,

In searching around I found this code that appears to set an offset from frames but I can't find any current writings on it.
Could you please look into it as I really haven't a clue, thanks.

fLeft=gp[1]+mp[1]+100 //Frames_Top_Offset;

And then perhaps an "else" for when a frame is absent.