Creating and installing new menus

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Creating and installing new menus

Post by thewolfe »

STOP THE PRESSES...........................................you can ignore my last post, thank God!

I hadn't uploaded the two files mmenudom.js & milonic_src.js.......DA!

Boy my head is spinning. There is so much to remember that is still foreign to me.

Now I assume that if I tweak the rest of my pages with the new calls and delete the "<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="mmenu.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>" line the rest of the pages will show the menu.

And then I can change the menu height from the top of the page and width and THEN I should be ready to add some some "stuff" onto my menus.

That will probably take a day of tweaking.

I feel like I'm getting close but I'm afraid to say it out load yet.

And do I need to say that I could have never gotten her without your persistent help.

Blessings,

Doug

BTW How do I get "Milonic" from popping up on my menu everywhere?
Last edited by thewolfe on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: creating and installing new menus

Post by Ruth »

Yes, I see the menu, but did you see the first items are Milonic? That's because if you are using the free menu, and since that site is personal and not commercial or a money making site you can use it i.e. personal use, but the menu itself is not 'free' it is a link menu. That is you don't have to pay cash but you must have a link back to http://milonic.com/ if you use the free license on every page where the menu is.

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi again,

When you get done, I have a couple of things you might like to include, another free anti-virus program, and a screen resolution test that is also a free item which let's you view what the resolutions are for people who visit your site. It helps when you are laying out your pages.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

I don't mind advertising Milonic....but at the top of every one of my menus. Didn't have that before although it was years ago that I originally used it.

This is upsetting, to say the least after all the work "we" did.

What other options do I have or have I spent weeks doing this for what might be "naught" ?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

No, no it's not supposed to be in the menu, that's there because the program can't find a link on your pages back to Milonic.com. Just put it in one of your columns, or if you want at the bottom of the page. If I remember FrontPage right you should be able to do that pretty easily. Though I'm not sure since I haven't used it for a decade or more and then it was only to test it. Anyway, on my site I just have a statement This site uses Milonic Solutions' DHTML Menu Navigation System, and the Milonic Solutions part is the link, like this:

Code: Select all

This site uses <a href="https://milonic.com/">Milonic Solutions</a>  DHTML Menu Navigation System.
Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Let me know what's up. I can't remember that far back, but I think the v3 also had a link requirement if it was for personal use, but I also remember that many sites didn't do it and there was nothing in the program that forced the link. I think that the v3 when 5 came out and 3 wasn't supported anymore ended up on some of the javascript websites for download. Anyway, Milonic built in that link generating thing so that those who were using it free or used it without a license [many have done that] would have to put the links on the pages. Once the link is on the pages, your menu will say Home.

As to the things I was mentioning that were also free, I use Avast Antivirus free version which is pretty good, I have also used AVG. And I found a screen resolution site where it is free to put a little thing on your page/pages if you want more than one page done, I only did my index page, and it will keep track of what screen resolutions people are using that visit your site. When you click the little icon it gives you a report.
Avast is http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
Screen resolution is http://www.screenresolution.org/ You'd click on the Get Your Site Report it's Free button.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Not sure why this in not showing under "Assorted stuff"/contributors.htm
http://www.dougsstuff.com/contributors.htm

Contributors to my web site

Menu script - http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/index.php
Guestbook script - http://www.promosi-web.com/script/guestbook
Bookmark script - http://simplythebest.net/info/dhtml_scripts.html
Scripture "popup" - http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/
Mentor #1 - Joe M. who was always there to give me a hand when my enthusiasm over shadowed my knowledge.
Mentor #2 - Jack B. who has been my one-man brain trust and the host of my site (Beach Cities PC).

That was where I had it and intend to add it back in the menu. Still have some menu tweaking besides adding new stuff.
When you helped create the new date file I had already changed some of the menu so still have some work to be done.

Will the above free up my menu?

I also use Avast on this machine and will add it on my list as I go along and will ck out "http://www.screenresolution.org/"
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Actually on the Assorted Stuff menu it's there. Not sure what's happening.

with(milonic=new menuname("assorted_stuff")){
style=style2;
aI("text=Contributors;url=contributors.htm;");
aI("text=Anti-Telemarketing;url=anti-telemarketing.htm;");
}
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

This is my fault, I am so sorry :oops: I was unaware that you didn't know you would need a link on every page that carries the version 5 menu. The only options to get rid of the Milonic in the menu is to put a link on each page where the menu is, or to buy the menu. Since this is a personal page, I doubt you want to buy it at $50 US in these down economic times, though the license is perpetual and the upgrades are free for one year as is support and of course I'm always doing support on the forum.

If there were a way I could get your pages, I'd be glad to add the link to them. The other option would be to leave it in the menu, but it will always be the 1st item, so you'd need to put your Home as the second. I personally wouldn't do that. I'd put the link on the pages, but then again, I'm retired, bored, and like working with pages and helping people. If you could actually get me the pages, I'd be glad to put the link on and send them back to you. Or I can copy and paste them, put the link in and then zip them all and send them to you. I don't have FrontPage so I can't use that to do it, but as I said, the program I use would let me do a copy/paste for the link. You'd just have to tell me where to put them on the pages. Let me know what you want to do. Again, sorry :(

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

So if I'm understanding you correctly, I can't have them as one of my "Contributors" in my dropdown menu under "Assorted Stuff". Which btw doesn't even show up now.

And I can't add them to my main page at the bottom but I have to add them to each page?

So under Dougsstuff.com/health_websites.htm I would have to add a link to Milonic on that page somewhere and on each of my other 30 or so pages.

Or pay $50

If I pay $50 what are my obligations? Is the license good forever if I don't want upgrades.

I've worked for hours on this and unless I go back to the old menu, I've put too much work dump the menu.

Not blaming you Ruth, I'm sure all this info was somewhere on the site.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

You actually need the little link back on every page where the menu is used. Index, dougs_tips_and_tricks, and so on.

Obligations? None, except that you can't be a commercial money making site. And, you will not have to put the link on any page.

Here is what is posted for the professional license

Professional DHTML Menu License - $48.15  
This is a license to use the DHTML Menu product on your website or Intranet without any links or other annoying information about our evaluation version.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some notes on licensing

Commercial licenses are needed for ANY company using the menu on ANY website or Intranet.

Each license covers one website only, sub domains may be considered the same site but you will need to confirm this with us for clarification before you go ahead with your menu construction.

There are no limits to the number of pages your site can contain.

For the duration of your support (1 Year) 

It also guarantees a response to ALL of your support requests.

We can also mail you updates as soon as they are ready for release.

Any feature requests you make will be given much more serious consideration
You can use the menu on your site, safe in the knowledge that you are not in breach of any copyright

So, what do you get for your money? - You Get:

The full version of the menu, without the forced links. 
A perpetual license to use the menu on your chosen website. 
Access to the My Milonic web based admin system 
Email based tech support 
Your website added to our directory listing  

Now, I felt bad, so I have
linksadded.zip
all but your religion pages, also coded for the menu
(103.39 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
done all your pages, but the religion ones with the link required and I've also coded the correct calls for the menu on them.

Just for your info on the menu, if you buy, you are entitled to all the upgrades for a year, any new features, or fixes that come out etc. After the year, you are entitled to keep whatever the last version was as long as you have a website and want to use the menu. You can also pay a support fee, not sure what that is, a much lower fee I understand, at the beginning of the second year and so on for as long as you like and would get any new updates and features, but you don't have to do that, again you can keep whatever the last version was at the end of the year and use it forever at http://www.dougstuff.com. You are also entitled in that first year to upgrade to Version 6, I believe. You might have to contact Milonic about that. I have no idea if you would want that, it is a different type of menu and I am not really able to figure it out yet, however it is in development so maybe when it's done I will be able to do that.

I did buy the menu, but that was my choice, it was because it was so good and I could do so much with it, and I didn't have to put a link on all my pages, and I could use it forever, so I felt it was worth the small fee. Again, that was MY choice :)

If you decide to buy, you need to go to the main site http://milonic.com/ and register. That registration uses your email address and when you log in and download the menu updates it will have your license in the program and not put in the forced Milonic link. Then you go to the https://milonic.com/cbuy.php to purchase the menu

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

I'm going to kick it around a bit and figure out what I want to do but I'm leaning toward the fee.

And again, it's not your fault. You've been a big help and I appreciate what you've done to help me.

That's just the way things go some times. Like I sometimes say, "it ain't cancer".

This is not something for you to worry about.

Blessings,

Doug
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Thanks, Doug. Let me know what you decide, and either way, I'll be glad to help you with anything you need in the menu. I really enjoy helping :)

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

oh, by the way, there is a new version, you have 912, 913 is out.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Morning! Got some stuff to do this morning....golf and then I'll do some more "kicking around".

Thanks for adding the link to a lot of my pages. It actually doesn't get in the way like I thought it would.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Blessings,

Doug
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

Bought the license now I want to be set free, free indeed.

Downloaded the new folder "menu_sample1_ver5_913"

And an e-mail I got said:

"If you need to remove the Milonic link from your menus, all you need to do is download
the menu again and update the code files. Only the source code files (milonic_src.js and
mmenudom.js) will need updating, your existing data file (if you have changed it) will be
compatible with the new download."

I thought I'd wait till I heard from you before I incorporate the new files milonic_src.js and
mmenudom.js) into my main site folder. I do see they both have my info in them.

Can't wait to get on with things. No more hang ups.....full speed ahead. Well at least moving somewhat in a forward direction.

Thanks again for your assistance and as they say in New York...."Forgetaboutit". We're moving on.

Blessings,

Doug
Last edited by thewolfe on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Doug,

OK, you need to go back to the main site, log in under whatever the name you used when you bought the license, then download a new copy of the menu. Once you get it, unzip the files then open the milonic_src.js file or the mmenudom.js file and you should see this just below the info about copyright stuff something like this, but with your license details.

License Details:
 Number: 189407
    URL: http://poems2u.com
   Type: Professional
Once you are sure it is a licensed version [just making sure the system has updated quickly with your details] then just upload the milonic_src.js and mmenudom.js files. They will replace the existing ones on your site and the Milonic link in your menu will just disappear. Make sure that you replace all the milonic_src.js, mmenudom.js files you have on your site so only licensed versions are there, i.e. in the root directory and whatever test directories you are using like the milonicmenu/ folder.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Got it thanks!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Welcome :D

Did you know that your first item under the Computer stuff menu the Tips & Tricks Info goes to this page no longer exists message.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

I haven't changed most of the pages yet with the new script.

Just checking the menus, I have some items that I have to add back that dropped out somewhere along the way.

It's going to take some time just updating the new script for each page and checking my orig menu with the new one to make sure all pages are there.

But at least I'm on my way.

I'll let you know when I get everything changes over to the new script. I also want to do some alphabetizing of the menus and maybe add some more categories especially on the "Religion Stuff" so it doesn't get unruly. We don't want unruly religion, now do we.

I also want to and another main category of probably "Golf Stuff".

And that reminds me. When I lengthen my menu it only adds the length to the last "Assorted Stuff" menu. Is there a way to have all categories affected? I would like the menu to at least extend to the edges of my table.

Now I also noticed that the menu categories expand and contract with the verbiage, I think. So not sue what options are available. Might depend on what looks best over all if I can't have all my "druthers".

Blessings,

Doug