How to open a folder and then open the text files inside

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

How to open a folder and then open the text files inside

Post by thewolfe »

I have a folder in my directory and there are text files inside. How can I add the folder link to my site and then from there be able to open individual text files?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: How to open a folder and then open the text files inside

Post by Ruth »

Hi Doug,

Can you give me the folder, i.e. the url to get to that folder so I can experiment? I'm sorry, I am really a 'hands on" figure it out person so I kind of just need the stuff and then I experiment.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

That was a "DA"! moment. I had deleted the folder from my site and only had it on my computer.

I never would have discovered that if you hadn't asked for the link.

Anyway, here it is and I can hyperlink to it now that I've uploaded the folder again.

And I haven't tried but I assume I can add the folder link to my menu also, eyh?

http://www.dougsstuff.com/NewLifeTips/

And another question. The Directory doesn't show the whole name of the file. Is there a way to adjust that? The way it displays now no one would know what the article is about.

Blessings,

Doug
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

You can fix the directory stuff by renaming the files, using a short name that will show. I am so frustrated by the newer browsers, they all put that darned ... rather than showing the whole name. But, if you don't want to rename them, you need to get rid of the blank spaces, in that way IE will show the full name in the bottom bar when you mouseover it. FF already shows the full name, but IE puts in the required space which shows as the MS windows code for space, i.e. %20 which translates into blank space. So, you could either put in - 5Essential-Things and so on, or 5_Essential_Things, etc. At least that way the name at the bottom in IE will be the name without the % codes.

Yes, you can put the link in your menu, it opens just like a web page when clicked. Or you could put in an item that opens a submen from which they can open each item rather than go to the actual directory. So, Parent Item would be New Life Tips, then the submenu would open and each item would be one of those files which would open on click :)

Ruth