Sub-menus Partially display in IE9

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
slloyd
Beginner
Beginner

Sub-menus Partially display in IE9

Post by slloyd »

I have a user who, after upgrading from IE8 to IE9, now cannot see the text and other elements of sub-menus. The outside box, the dividers and the first image shows for each submenu, but all the text, the background image and all images except the first one vanish. The hyperlinks still work, however, and the rollover highlight still work. This is on our intranet, so there is no way for me to give you a link. Also, out of hundreds of users, only two have reported this issue. Do you have any suggestions on what to look at to trouble-shoot this? Here is a link to a screenshot of what they see. http://www.obekb.com/images/MissingMenus.png
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Sub-menus Partially display in IE9

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Is it possible for you to post the menu_data.js file here? I might be able to give some suggestions if I could see the data file and the styling etc. in the menu. I am also posting this to Milonic since they may have a suggestion even without the data file :)

Ruth
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi,

Looking at the image, and the fact that the menu works on the hundreds of other users machines, it would appear to be a machine specific issue.

As it's Internet Explorer at fault (and going by the image) it most likely points to a Direct X issue that didn't upgrade properly when the browser was upgraded.

Can you please try re-installing Direct X - it's a Microsoft download, here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... aspx?id=35

Let us know if it works or not.

Cheers,
Andy
slloyd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by slloyd »

Had the user install the lastest version of direct X, no change to the missing menus. Also trying to emulate IE 8 or 7 had no effect. While on a screen share with the user, and being that is slower, we can see that the menus load correctly, then erase themselves. They leave the first upper-left graphic and the separator lines, and the drop-shadows, but remove the text and the background, and all icons except the first one. I kept trying to upload a copy of the menu_data file in various file formats, but your board tells me they are all not allowed. Really helpful that there is not a list of allowed or not allowed file extensions. :?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I'm sorry the board is giving you a problem. I'm not sure what the problem is and will post to Milonic. What is it you are trying to post? Usually, you can just copy the data in the menu_data file and then click the code button above and paste the data in between the Ruth
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Apologies for the uploader, please assume that .js files are not permitted. However, .zip files should be good, so please zip up the .js and upload the zipped file instead. This should work in most cases.

One thing I will say, is that, as this is an issolated issue and you have now confirmed ActiveX is not at fault; you can now try going back to default settings for IE - procedure for this is: Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset

Let us know if this still does not help.