[RESOLVED] Frameset menus issue after upgrading to WIN 7

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Per
Advanced
Advanced

[RESOLVED] Frameset menus issue after upgrading to WIN 7

Post by Per »

Having (at last - much too late) upgraded myself from Win XP to Win 7 some months ago I've realized something strange and rather disturbing: My old and beautiful Milonic menu for frames doesn't work properly on computers running Win 7!

I have a side menu and a submenu in the main frame. Some buttons in the side menu opens submenus over the introtext in the main frame, other opens new pages.

Side menu buttons just opening new pages are working OK.

Side menu buttons opening submenus are working OK too, but: I can click a button of the submenu and select a new page, and then, when the new page is loaded, the side menu will not load the submenus again - buttons activating the submenus "dies".

I have checked the code of the body menu on all possible pages, and I can't find anything suspect. I have tried to replace the normal start page with random subpages, and the picture is the same: First time I activate the side menu the submenu works OK, next time it's not showing up.

Funny thing is that the menu is (still) working perfectly when using a Win XP-computer. But with Win 7 the disaster happens - and I'm speaking IE, Firefox and Chrome. I haven't checked Safari, but usually it reacts just like Chrome.

I think the problem might be the same as in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10509&p=49382&hilit=frames#p49382
- but here the solution is not made public. - And, as mentioned above, my menu actually worked for years and years in Win XP.

I must admit I feel a little stupid for not realizing this problem until now. But being an old man with a long grey beard and I never dreamt of checking this thing.

My Milonic version is 5.770, and I'm using a free license version, running a private homepage dealing with civic education about using the danish language ("better writing").

The URL is here:http://www.omatskrive.dk.

I really hope someone can give me a hint about where to look for the problem!

Yours, Per
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Frameset menus stopped working after upgrading til WIN 7

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

The first thing you need to do is go to this frames set on Milonic and see if the issue is still an issue in Win 7.

http://milonic.com/frames/

This example uses the newest version of the menu 5.924. If this works then you will need to upgrade your menu to the newest version. Please make sure that the ONLY files you are upgrading are the

Code: Select all

milonic_src.js, mmenuns4.js, mmenudom.js, mm_navframe.js 
files. You don't make any changes to the menu_data_side, or top or whatever you called your menu data files. Those are the ones that you created for you menu, you don't do ANYTHING to those, just replace the actual program files, those four I mentioned. If you're unsure of how to do this, just post back and I will walk you through it. If the new version isn't working in Win 7 again, post back and I will have to contact Milonic for them to figure out the issue. Again, they will want to to have the newest version of the menu.

Let me know what happens.

Ruth
Per
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Per »

Hello Ruth

Thank you for your fast answer! I have now checked the Milonic demo-frameset to which you linked, and it works OK on my pc. Next I have downloaded the 5.924 version, and from that one I have copy/pasted the four files mentioned by you into my offline version of the entire homepage - my harddisk - overwriting the old versions. If this was not the correct way of doing it, please let me know!

Unfortunately, the only visible difference is the "MILONIC" button showing up in the menus now - the problem is the same - I have to hit the "Home"-button to return to the default front text in order to make the menu work again. (Oh, and by the way, this time it stopped working in Chrome ...)

But something occurred to me while studying the documentation following the v.5.924 files.

1. The Milonic-tags I'm using to load the menus in the text pages is the following, copied from the TEXT in the demonstration menu: http://milonic.com/frames/

<script language=JavaScript src="../milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></script>
<script type=text/javascript>
if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=../mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");
else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=../mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");
</script>
<script language=JavaScript src="../menu_data_body.js" type=text/javascript></script>
</head>

2. However, the SOURCE CODE from the very same page says:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/milonic_src.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt type=text/javascript src=/mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");
else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt type=text/javascript src=/mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="menu_data_body.js"></script>
</head>

3. And the specified code in the INSTALLATION-GUIDE following with the 5.924 version (install.html) says:

<script type="text/javascript" src="milonic_src.js"></script>
<noscript><a href="http://milonic.com/">JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic</a></noscript>
<script type="text/javascript" src="mmenudom.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="menu_data.js"></script>

I can't figure out if there is any practical difference between the different wordings of the tags. I have tried to replace the original version (nr. 1 above) with both of the other versions in a few pages, but without effect so far, and I am a little reluctant to do an overall replacement without knowing if this could have anything to do with the problem at all.

Testing with a browser only gives the result zero - the menu doesn't work. But my html-editor returns the error message displayed in the pic below when I'm mousing over one of the buttons of the main menu. "Tilladelse nægtet" means "permission denied". However, to me the location "line 21 character 2" makes no sense, no matter if it refers to the side frame or the main frame.

I haven't uploaded the v.5.924-files yet, as I would hear your opinion about the js-tags above first - should I replace the present ones (version 1) with one of the others? Then I can insert the code for the Milonic-link in the same process, as I have to have hands on every single page anyhow, and I would prefer to do that just one time.

Thanks in advance!

Yours, Per
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

You need to copy the old program files and put them someplace so you have them available to go back if you need to. Then what you need to do is to put the new program files on the web and test it and see if everything is working, if it isn't then just upload the old program files you saved so that you are returning to what you now have. I can't really tell what is going on when you are talking about having things on the computer versus on the web. And, since I cannot test because I do not have Win 7, once we know for sure that it is not working on the web, then I have to give it to Milonic since they can test with Win 7. Make sure that you put a copy of those old program files someplace. Again, you should not have to do anything with regard to your pages since all you are doing is uploading the newest version program files, those 4 I mentioned, you're not changing paths, you're not remaking your menu_data files etc, you're just upgrading those 4 files. Please try that test and let me know what happens.

Ruth
Per
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Per »

Hi Ruth

It's done as described by you, and it still doesn't work in any of the browsers. I'm leaving the new files in the online version until sometime next week as the traffic is low now it's Easter and the only difference is the Milonic-button.

I will be offline until sunday morning (CET) because of family matters - please don't think I've lost interest in the subject because of my silence!

Again, thanks for your support,

Per
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I notice that the issue is showing up in the submenus where it is showing Milonic as the top item in the submenu. That is because you have not placed the required

Code: Select all

<a href="http://websites.milonic.com/milonic.com/>JavaScript Menu Courtesy of Milonic.com</a>
on that page where the submenus open. That has to be on all the areas where there is a menu. You'll notice that there's no problem with the left side frame because you have that code on that frame page. Do the same thing in the right side frame page, just put that notice. Hopefully that should fix it. If not then Milonic will have to test it.

Ruth
Per
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Per »

Hi Ruth

It seems as if the problem is solved now! The menu works flawlessly in all browsers. So it was simply a matter of updating Milonic from 5.770 til 5.924 and adding the Milonic reference to all the subpages, which was not required in the 5.770 version.

Thank you so much for your help!

Per
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

:)

I am so glad everything is resolved! By the way, I like your site layout, even if I don't understand what it is saying :)

Ruth
Per
Advanced
Advanced

Re: [RESOLVED] Frameset menus issue after upgrading to WIN 7

Post by Per »

Thanks for your comments on my layout! :D - Most comments nowadays goes on the "prehistoric" (my daughters word) use of frames instead of going css, but I'm running the homepage in my spare time as a free service for high school students (and their teachers), and I would rather concentrate on content - plus I'm really an amateur when it comes to html-coding, so it would cost me an awful lot of time to switch to clean css.

However, I found out last night when visiting a friend that there might be an issue with the new Milonic-version when seen by the new IE10, coming with Win 8. :? If that's true, perhaps Milonic should look into it. I'm not running those versions myself, but I will check it within a few days out and let you know if there is a problem.

I hope that Milonic will keep the frameset menus alive in the future, as they are by far the most elegant menus I've seen for these "prehistoric" homepages in frames. And there must still be quite a number alive out here.

Again, thanks for your support,

Per
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I'll try to keep in mind what you said on the 'new' Win 8 and IE 10. Keep us posted, as Milonic is diligent on keeping things 'fixed'. One of the reasons I actually love this system is that Milonic does NOT throw out the old, just because it is old. They tend to try and keep as much of the system working, after all, look at the old mmenuns4.js still available. I don't think there are many, if any of those systems still around, a few maybe, but they can still work with Milonic. To my way of thinking that is dedication to Milonic's menu users.

Personally, I love frames, and I don't care what the 'geesh you old guysers, upgrade, nobody does frames anymore' people say :) I still use them and I can still use Milonic with them!!!

Ruth
Per
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Per »

So, now I have had my son's girlfriend check my homepage - she's on Win 8 and IE 10, and there is still a problem there. The same, the menu stops working afther the first click, and you'll have to click some back-button - in my case the logo - to get back to the front page in order to make the menu work again. :( So it looks as if Milonic will have to look into it anyhow. It seems to be an "IE-only"-problem - Firefox is working OK Win 8, but we haven't checked with Chrome or Safari.

This is not a problem same size as the just solved yet - at least not to me - as IE 10 isn't that widespread yet but of course it will be within some time. So I hope it's possible to come up with a solution. I'll keep myself informed through Milonic's home page, as I guess they will announce any new version.

So much for now - I'm really grateful for the help, I wouldn't have been able to solve the problem by myself!

Per
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi There,

So sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

I just tried going to http://www.omatskrive.dk/ in both IE9 on Win7 and IE10 on Win8 but everything seems to be working fine.

Do you still see the problem?

Cheers,
Andy
Per
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Per »

Hello Andy

I'm not into Win 8 and IE 10 myself, I tested it from my son's girlfriend's computer; and I can't get hold of that one for a week or so, since she's abroad. But I'll look into it as soon as absolutely possible, check version number and so on, and then let you know. However, if everything is fine in your test it might be a problem in her computer. I'll check it out ...

Yours, Per