Mac Problems

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
paddy junki
Beginner
Beginner

Mac Problems

Post by paddy junki »

Hi
I'm using Milonic for a college project and have got a free single domain license. I built the site on a PC and have uploaded it and it works fine on PC. However when viewed on a Mac with IE5.2 the menu doesn't appear. It works fine with the Mac browser Safari.

Anyone any ideas? The site URL is:

http://www.junkiedeejays.com/college/we ... index.html

Thanks
Paddy
paddy junki
Beginner
Beginner

Post by paddy junki »

I take it no one has any ideas then?
m3jim
Beginner
Beginner

Mac Problems

Post by m3jim »

I don't want to sound mean..... but did you search this site for 'Mac Problems', or read the FAQ's ? There are many post about what a bad browser IE for the Mac is, and how to get around it's problems.....

Jim
paddy junki
Beginner
Beginner

Post by paddy junki »

yeah there's plenty about how there are alignment issues with IE for Mac. If I had alignment issues that'd be great, but as it is the menu just doesn't appear and there's nothing to be found about that in either the FAQ or a search.
Anyway it doesn't matter now, the project is submitted and I will lose a substantial amount of marks for not being compatible. :(
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

IE on Mac is discontinued by Microsoft, it is outdated and doesn't work to technical standards, it is also very buggy and virus prone. Mac's users use Safari.

Maybe the facts will help your project.

The browser is extremely sensitive, something as simple as an empty value might cause it to fail. If there is nothing there, remove it completely, be very exact and should work. For a single value without letters don't use quotes.

subimage="";

maz
cwolves
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cwolves »

delete this from mmenudom.js and see if it fixes your problem:

$S.overflow="hidden";
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

paddy junki wrote:...and I will lose a substantial amount of marks for not being compatible. :(
Man... that'd be pretty harsh. I would think that a weighted average would be appropriate, so that each browser accounted for a proportion of the grade commensurate with the the proportion of hits a website (like the one you've developed) gets from each browser. IE5.2/Mac should not account for a large proportion.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you... I have no Mac to use for testing. I did have a look at your code a couple of days ago, but didn't see any glaring problems, so didn't post.

Couple of minor suggestions:

Take overflow="scroll"; out of the "culture" menu. Not needed.

In "Main Menu", change top="offset=99"; to top=99;

Remove subimage=""; from your menuStyle.

Numeric assignments, like menuwidth = "660", do not require the value to be in quotes, although placing the value in quotes should not generally matter (but one never knows with quirky browsers like IE5.2/Mac).

Hope your grade doesn't suffer too much.

Kevin
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

cwolves wrote:delete this from mmenudom.js and see if it fixes your problem:

$S.overflow="hidden";
Which, I'm afraid, will automatically stop all support in the Forum. The menu code is not to be messed with.
John
cwolves
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cwolves »

so fix the code :-) That code, or something related to it, flat out breaks the menu on IE 5 Mac. If you take it out, it fixes it.

now given, taking it out might cause other issues, but with it there, the menus don't show up at all, so I personally consider -ANY- other issues a fair comprimise.

you can also set the timeout on the initial MScan() call to a larger number and it should fix it, ie "setTimeout("_MScan()",2000)" instead of "setTimeout("_MScan()",150)".

and I don't see why -that- should be violating support as it's just making the menu lag enough to display properly on a mac.

[edit] Optionally, you could paste this code anywhere after the initial calls to the menu's js files and before the DrawMenus() call.

Code: Select all

function _fixMenu($U){_gm=gmobj("menu"+$U);if(_gm){_gmt=gmobj("tbl"+$U);if(_gmt){$M=_m[$U];$S=_gm.style;$T=_gmt.offsetWidth;_cor=($M[12]*2+$M[6][65]*2);if(op5)_gm.style.pixelWidth=_gmt.style.pixelWidth+_cor;if(ns6||ns7||konq||ie4){if((konq||ie4)||$M[14]=="relative")$S.width=$T+"px";if($M[17])$S.width=$M[17]}if(mac){if(_m[$U][13]!="scroll"){_MacA=gpos(_gmt);if(IEDtD)_cor=0;$S.height=(_MacA[2]+_cor)+"px";$S.width=(_MacA[3]+_cor)+"px"}}}}}
that should fix it too. and look, you're not modifying the menu's source -at all- :}
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I have to wonder if you go into Word, Excel, etc. when you have problems with them and "adjust" their code. This is copyrighted material, not open source, and there's no way we can support it if changed. If Andy determines you have actually located a bug, he will make the fix and post an update.

Pretty much the same all over, AFAIK...
John
cwolves
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cwolves »

well no, but I do with OpenOffice, EditPlus, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc whenever I need to. I don't use word or excel. And I don't have time to sit around and wait for an update when I have a client breathing down my neck that their site isn't loading properly on a mac.

Besides, as stated, the last fix isn't actually adjusting the menu's code at all. Nor is changing code illegal in any way shape or form.

And I completely understand that support becomes a nightmare if people randomly change things, but the first code change I suggested -only- effects a mac (it's in an if statement saying "if (mac){"), and it fixes one of the few bugs I've found in the menu.

The 2nd possible fix will make the menu slower to load but won't functionally effect -anything-. It'll also fix the bug.

People regularly distribute 3rd party patches to software that needs to be patched. I've done it with IE for a security issue that M$ refused to address, I've done it with software that was no longer supported by their parent company, and I've done it to current versions of products that didn't have plugin support and the parent companies wouldn't address the issue.

This is different. I'm sure that after pointing out a bug, it will be fix. I've seen it done with Milonic's menu before. Unfortunately, unlike Word, Photoshop, etc, Milonic's menu is something that is -instantly- delivered to a client as is. If there's a bug in it, the client isn't just going to accept "we can't fix it right now, you're going to have to wait a month or two". So I fixed it, posted the bug, posted a solution.

[edit] besides which, it's been stated that mac IE isn't supported. therefore any mac ie specific code wouldn't be supported anyway, nor any bugs fixed.
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

Hey guys,

Hate to but in - but where does it state that IE for Mac isn't supported?

-Marty
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

marty wrote:Hate to but in - but where does it state that IE for Mac isn't supported?
Hi darlin' -

M$ made that public announcement some time ago. There is no further development or support on IE/Mac. It's (finally) a dead product.
John
cwolves
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cwolves »

but -I- still have to supoprt it to our clients, therefore if Milonic officially doesn't support it, what the harm in me chaning the menu code to fix mac ie bugs? the code I changed -ONLY- effects that browser. it's not run on other browsers.

I'd go one step further and say that if the milonic source isn't changed to fix the bug, posting that code snippet should be a viable fix for mac ie not displaying the menu at all.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Milonic still does support it, until (and if) announced otherwise by Andy.
John
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

John,

I think cwolves was referring to Milonic not supporting it, as was I.

The point (which was obviously missed) was, where on the Milonic site does it state that IE for Mac is no longer officially supported? Because if it does there's a hell of a lot of pages I need to update.

-Marty
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

marty wrote:The point (which was obviously missed) was, where on the Milonic site does it state that IE for Mac is no longer officially supported? Because if it does there's a hell of a lot of pages I need to update.
Nowhere here that I know of. I was talking about M$.
John
cwolves
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cwolves »

okay, well then can you pass on the mac ie fix I posted to whoever you need to pass it onto so it gets fixed in the actual milonic code? :-)
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

Hi cwolves,

If you need support from Milonic or help with a potential bug please use the form at http://milonic.com/reqsupport.php

-Marty