CSS / Accessibility - where to next?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
marks
Advanced
Advanced

CSS / Accessibility - where to next?

Post by marks »

For my last few sites I've used a lot more CSS and less tables. The benefits arising are

* alternate print layout
* works better on handhelds
* compatible with text readers for users with accessibility issues

I've got the Milonic menus on a number of sites. I'm now working on a new site that want dropdown menus yet at the same time I want to retain my CSS mode. I've seen a few posts on the topic but not many answers.

1. Are Milonic working on more accessible menus?
2. Is there a keyboard alternative to onMouseOver? I tried onFocus but couldn't get it to work.
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Sorry I don't have the answers to your questions.

But what I found is that the main menu is accessible if there are links attached to the menu items, so there is a way of making the main menu links go to a source that includes all the submenu links.

I hope that helps.

maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Full 508 accessibility is definitely on the list for the menu. Unfortunately I can't give you a timetable right now, but Andy considers it very important.

Andy or Kevin will have to take your other question.
John
marks
Advanced
Advanced

Post by marks »

Ok - thanks for your input
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Re: CSS / Accessibility - where to next?

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Mark,
marks wrote:...2. Is there a keyboard alternative to onMouseOver? I tried onFocus but couldn't get it to work.
John wrote:Andy or Kevin will have to take your other question.
John's wish is my command ;)

There's a set of events you could use for keys: onKeyPress, onKeyDown, and onKeyUp. As with other events, you write your own event handler code, i.e.:

Code: Select all

onKeyPress = YourJavascriptFunction()
You can also query the event object for various data, like the state of the Alt key, Shift key, etc.

It seems likely that you could use these events in combination with popup() and maybe some other menu functions to create a menu system that would respond to key presses as well as mouse events. If you aren't familiar with these events, you can find a ton of info and examples using Google. Here's a handy reference for javascript events (of course, there are many others too). I can't recall if there are any cross-browser issues with the key events, so you might want to keep an eye out for that.

Cheers,

Kevin