submenus in email

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Oliver
Beginner
Beginner

Submenus in email

Post by Oliver »

I read the exchange between Ruth & Mfurf last April and wonder whether it is possible to cut out the attachment using a CSStype setup rather than a list in the body of the html code, I tried the attachment way but my ISP/email/virus program won't allow this. I can't so far make it work with the CSStype.

The best that I could achieve was to paste the actual webpage(rather than the code) into an Outlook Express richtext/html email and achieved the main menu links but not the drop down sub-menus. Microsoft underlying code was rather weird and lengthy but it worked.

I would like to try the CSStype menus, has anyone else tried using this method?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Oliver,

I have a very old Outlook so I don't do much experimentation with stuff like this.

There is a module that you can use with the menu to generate a site index, this is generated as a list type index, perhaps something like that could be used.

http://support.milonic.com/demos/site_index/index.htm
mfurf
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mfurf »

Hey Innkeeper Ruth and Oliver:

Not having been on the forum here in months I just got a wake up call as I had forgotten I set this thread to be watched. I haven't had the need to cut/paste any new menus but hope you guys create a cutting edge.

What a great selling point for Milonic Menus if it could be done. /mfurf
Oh Saratoga!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hey Stranger!

I've not done anything more on the email stuff, I figured we had it here and anyone who had an interest could use this.

Oliver,

I just reread your post :oops: I must have skimmed right over the I don't want the listbased part of it....

As to the css, the menu takes the style from the css, if you're setting it up that way, so if you are pasting the page in, I'd think if you have the css styled that would work. I don't work much at all with css and haven't done a css menu so I don't really know if that will work. But, since you're calling the menu files having pasted the page in, I'd think it would call the css also.

Ruth
Migru
Milonic Guru
Milonic Guru

Post by Migru »

Hi Ruth

may I get that or a similar mail too ???

I´m interested !!

Michael
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Michael,

OK, I've been working on this again to see what's going on with the newer versions. Remember, this may not work in all email programs you'll have to test it out. I only have an old outlook express.

I'll put it by steps, this is for testing purposes, once you're sure it works you'd of course use your own page and paths

1. create a folder on your website.

2. open the index page from the menu download, the main index page

3. change the path to the milonic_src, mmenudom, mmenuns4, menu_data files to the folder you just created and save the page.

4. once you have the path pointing to that folder upload the page and milonic files to that folder.

Now this is where it gets problematic because it is going to depend on your email program, I can only give you what I do in mine. In my outlook,

1. I open the program, click for a new mail

2. I click Format and make sure Rich Text Format is checked

3. I click Insert

4. I click Text from file and when the window opens I change the file type from text to html.

5. I browse to the index page on my hard drive [remember I changed the paths on this page so they are pointing to my website folder, maybe your email program would let you browse to the page on the web] once I get to the page I click it and it inserts it into the email.

That gives me the index page with no menu on it, just the links, that's because the paths to the files have been changed to the website, but I send it and when I receive it the menu is there.

You should be able to do that with your own menu, and it seems that the new version let's you have the images and submenus will open. Once you are sure you can get it to work, you could make a special email page to send out which only has your site menu on it, or maybe a bgimage as a logo or something for the page and the menu.

Ruth
Migru
Milonic Guru
Milonic Guru

mail

Post by Migru »

Hi

is it useful, when mail programs do not support this ??

It seems Pegasus Mail doesn´t.

Michael
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I believe it's been noted in the topic that it might not work in all email clients. I think the person who originally found this was using it for a group which had subgroups and being able to post the menu itself in an email meant they only had to send one email, no matter what group. But, I could be mistaken on that, it's been a long while since this was done.

I would guess it could be useful if the group all used the same email client and that client supported this.

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Michael,

I sent you an email. I wondered what would happen if I sent the menu in an email to you using the listbased menu. I wondered if, since you say the program won't do the menu, if it would show the list links from the menu?

I think is being done with using this is that a person is in reality just sending the page. For example, I have a website monitoring, a free one, and every month they send me the info, and the info is in reality a page on their site. I get the page not just the info.

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

A final note by me :D

For anyone interested in this, the best method is using the listbased menu.

Create your to be sent page with the listbased menu, remove the style coding from the page, all the information in the listbased example within the inline script tags that begin with _menuCloseDelay=500; down to and including

Code: Select all

mainMenuSettings="alwaysvisible=true;orientation='horizontal';top=10;left=10;" // Properties for the main menu
Place all that into a separate file, save it as whatever you want to name it, e.g. email.js or such.

Leave the listmenus.js coded just where it is.

Call the email.js file just like you would normally have your menu_data.js file, up with the Milonic program file calls.

If the recipient's mail program doesn't allow the js coding, the listbased menu links should appear in place of that.

Ruth
mfurf
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mfurf »

Hey, having started all this I'm back after a year and a half. The various Milonic menus have been set and working on my site that I just had no need for "support".

But tonight I decided to set up a color shell for my emails and reworked the email menu first brought to light on this thread into a complete shell. Instead of the logo/heading followed by the 10 options being horizontal across the top of the email [thus usually forcing a horizontal scroll bar], I pasted it into my html editor, sliced and diced until I got it to look like the list menu even though it isn't.

Now all the menu options are vertical in their own cell and I've got 3-background colored sections. It's a two step process: I write the email in the html editor then copy/paste the entire thing as the email message. Again: rave reviews. Here's a peek at some of the code [the code being written by the html editor]

Code: Select all

<body>
<table class="milonictable" style="width: 97%;">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td id="el0" onmouseover="h$(0)"
style="padding: 1px; background: rgb(0, 255, 172) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 18%;"
nowrap="nowrap">
<div onclick="$K(0)" name="mM1" onfocus="_iF0C(0)"
href="http://websites.milonic.com/ohsaratoga.com/Frames1/undefined" id="lnk0"
style="border: medium none ; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; display: block; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: comic sans ms,verdana,helvetica; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-size: 2px; text-decoration: none; text-align: center;"><span
style="font-weight: bold; color: red; font-size: 19px;">Oh
Saratoga!<br>
</span>Aug 26-Sept 8, 2007<br>
</div>
</td>
<td
style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 204); vertical-align: top; text-align: center;"><span
style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(0, 153, 0);"> <br>
<span style="font-weight: bold;">Come When You Can<br>
Leave When You Have To<br>
 </span><br>
</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="vertical-align: top;"><a name="mM1" onfocus="_iF0C(1)"
href="http://websites.milonic.com/ohsaratoga.com/Chapel.html" id="lnk1"
style="border: medium none ; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; display: block; font-family: comic sans ms,verdana,helvetica; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-size: 2px; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(170, 0, 0);">Prayer</a>==============<br>
<a name="mM1" onfocus="_iF0C(2)"
href="http://websites.milonic.com/ohsaratoga.com/EcclesiCourt.html" id="lnk2"
style="border: medium none ; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; display: block; font-family: comic sans ms,verdana,helvetica; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-size: 2px; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(170, 0, 0);">Court</a>\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\<br>
<a name="mM1" onfocus="_iF0C(3)"
href="http://websites.milonic.com/ohsaratoga.com/UpState.html" id="lnk3"
style="border: medium none ; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; display: block; font-family: comic sans ms,verdana,helvetica; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-size: 2px; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(170, 0, 0);">State
St.</a>==============<br>
Bottom line is that the menu options all work; they access a javascript file on the website composed just for the email menu. /mfurf
Oh Saratoga!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hiya Stranger....it seems like a mighty long time, dah dah dah dah :lol:

Thanks for posting the new info. Nice to see ya!

Ruth
mfurf
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mfurf »

Hey Ruth: you're the best. I've still got some of your emails in my Milonic email folder. Methinks you've advanced way beyond me in the email submenu dept. How's Kevin and John, are they still on this board?

I finally realized that the thing was to use the basic milonic code within the email to get the viewer to the website where he can click on submenus until the cows come home... I'm just so delighted that the milonictable code works via copy/paste. I've got ten vertical options in a sized cell as a sort of left margin box, the last option when clicked opening an email window, the others go to web pages on the same site. I've got a horizontal cell as a heading and a large cell underneath it [and to the right of the vertical options] for the message [anything can be written or pasted into it including an entire html page]. All cells are differently background colored... sort of like a stationery page.

Maybe I'll figure out how to actually make it a page of stationery in order to eliminate the copy/paste step.

When I started with Milonic I was non-profit and got the freebie. But such superior menus deserved support that I decided to buy them anyway [somewhere way back on this board you'll find me urging other non-profits to do the same].

Let's hear it for Andy Wooley. He revolutionized the web. I got him a paying customer in Ohio a couple years ago. /mfurf

P.S. Forgot to mention that the code above worked fine for me but others couldn't see the clickable wording. Hah, wouldn't you know, the html editor defaulted to font-size: 2px. When I upgraded it to, what, about 16px, all turned out just fine.
Oh Saratoga!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

As far as I know Kevin and John are OK. John is very much here, but Kevin doesn't have any time anymore :( We really miss that since he was the only js knowledgeable volunteer, but life comes first :) Heck, I'll be here forever. I'm retired so it keeps my brain active :)

I know Milonic really appreciates your support of the menu. I think Andy is on to a new project, setting up something even more exciting for the Menu. I'll keep this post in my email and when/if he gets whatever the new thing is done, I'll post here so you get a notice. Take care. See ya next time.

Ruth