Menu will not show up on new server

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
michmom
Beginner
Beginner

Menu will not show up on new server

Post by michmom »

First let me say I don't know a whole lot. I took over our swim team website and we changed from Imagelink to Valueweb and now the drop down menu does not show up. Valueweb has not been too helpful and Imagelink hasn't gotten back with me. Our menu is a .js file and Milonic info is at the top. The people that set it up left for Rome today. Can you give me any advice?
Last edited by michmom on Tue May 24, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michmom
Beginner
Beginner

oops

Post by michmom »

The top says-
Milonic DHTML Website Navigation Menu - Version 3.x
Written by Andy Woolley - Copyright 2002 (c) Milonic Solutions Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Please visit http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu or e-mail menu3@milonic.com for more information.

The Free use of this menu is only available to Non-Profit, Educational & Personal web sites.
Commercial and Corporate licenses are available for use on all other web sites & Intranets.
All Copyright notices MUST remain in place at ALL times and, please keep us informed of your
intentions to use the menu and send us your URL.
*/

//The following line is critical for menu operation, and MUST APPEAR ONLY ONCE. If you have more than one menu_array.js file rem out this line in subsequent files
menunum=0;menus=new Array();_d=document;function addmenu(){menunum++;menus[menunum]=menu;}function dumpmenus(){mt="<scr"+"ipt language=javascript>";for(a=1;a<menus.length;a++){mt+=" menu"+a+"=menus["+a+"];"}mt+="<\/scr"+"ipt>";_d.write(mt)}
//Please leave the above line intact. The above also needs to be enabled if it not already enabled unless this file is part of a multi pack.
michmom
Beginner
Beginner

More info

Post by michmom »

I did find out that Imagelink is Unix based server with FrontPage extensions installed and so is Valueweb. Is there another reason this would not show up?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

You are running v3 of the menu system, which is no longer supported or developed. You will need to move up to the new v5 system, available at http://milonic.com/. Once you get that taken care of we can figure out what's going wrong.
John
michmom
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you

Post by michmom »

Thanks. I will try to download the new one.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Because you said you didn't know much. Once you download the files, which is pretty easy to do, you can go to the version3 to 5 converter for your menu_array.js file [only that file, not the other version 3 file] and it will let you convert it to the necessary syntax for version 5. And, we are always here to help if you have any problems or are unsure about something.

Ruth
michmom
Beginner
Beginner

ugh

Post by michmom »

Ruth,
Thank you for the help. I did download it and found the 3 files it says I need on the beginner page, but I don't know how to upload it. I am not sure I have the earlier version. I inherited the website and I think I just have the completed menu. Is that possible or do I have the earlier version somewhere? Sorry, to be so ignorant. When I took over the website I let them know I wasn't qualified except that I can do a very good job keeping it up to date.
Becky
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Post a URL to the site and we can tell you exactly what you have.
John
michmom
Beginner
Beginner

thank you

Post by michmom »

John,
I didn't think it was connected to a URL since it wasn't publishing, but Ruth found it.
I see you are at Arizona State. The only class I have taken in publishing a website was at ASU. It was in the fall of '97. Internet for Teachers with Jon Storslee. I learned a lot, but I just haven't used it so I don't remember much. I did get out my books yesterday.
Thanks again.
Becky
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hi Becky -

With all due respect, maybe a little more reading in those books is in order before tackling the site. Not trying to be nasty, but first things first.

Since Ruth found the site she will definitely be able to give you more help.
John
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Becky,

I found this post in the forums and wasnt' sure if this perhaps can give you some help.
It's about fp and paths to files The suggestion is that you put in absolute paths, full paths to the files so that fp has to read the path and not change things, something about shared borders whatever that is.

Ruth
michmom
Beginner
Beginner

thank you

Post by michmom »

Ruth,
Thank you. I am so afraid of messing up again that I haven't tried the other homepage copy with the Milonic info. I may just have one of the dads that wants to help look at it or the man that did it before is back from vacation if the coach wants to ask him.
Thank you again for all of your help. I have learned a lot and you have been very patient.
Becky
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Becky,

I just had an idea. Can you open the page in FP as you do know, then save it under a different name, then you could put the codes on it and put it on the web just like you do normally but since it's a different page now, it would't overwrite the one that is up there. That way you could see if the codes actually got uploaded or not. I do that many times when I'm trying something new on an existing page just so I don't lose what I have.

By the way, which version of FP are you using?

Ruth