image expansion problem for right menu item bgimage

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
dlpirl
Advanced
Advanced

image expansion problem for right menu item bgimage

Post by dlpirl »

The background image on the right item of my horizontal main menu has the right uppoer and lower corners rounded. The text for that item needs about 150 pixels, since I don't want it to wrap. However, since the bgimage is only 100 pixels wide, it repeats to fill the space, continuing the bgimage past the rounded corners on the right.

I would rather not edit the image itself. Is there a way to expand the bgimage to the left to fill the 150 pixels, keeping the right side of the image with the rounded corners all the way to the right? I tried bgimagealign=right, but that didn't work.
--Donald
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Well, not unless you remake the image and use the divides in the menu to create a setup that you can use that has the image split with the larger side [designed to expand] being where you put the item and the rounded side where you just have an item that is an 'image' holder. And even then you'd probably need to do css so that you can fix the image not to repeat on the y axis since any browser where the user can control text size will cause a repeat if the text size is increased unless css is set to prevent the repeat of the bgimage.

If you give me a link to the page I'll set something up for you to see. You can use css and divides in the menu to do just what you want and the bg image would always be the 'same' except designed to look as if it is expanding left/right and top bottom without changing the look except it would be bigger.

Ruth
dlpirl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by dlpirl »

Thanks for explaining, Ruth. That's what I was afraid of, so I eliminated the rounded ends and went for 100% menu width. I like it better anyway. You can see it at http://sunnyclover.com/lighthousebenicia/aboutus.htm

BTW, notice my custom expandable vertical menu below "Calendar" on the left of the page. :)
--Donald
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Donald,

Well, I hate to tell you but I don't see any custom. I do see the js file for it but on my old IE5.5 It just shows the word calender and then to the right and down it shows Home, Our Ministries, and so on. I see the file and it's supposed to be a hide/show menu. Is it supposed to hide those links and show them when you click on Calendar?

There's a collapse menu at Milonic that will do what I think that is supposed to do [if I read this right]. I'd be glad to set something up to show you that if you want.

Ruth
dlpirl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by dlpirl »

Ruth, on my expandable vertical menu there are only two hide/show menu items, 'Our Ministries' and 'About Us'. The other items are direct hyperlinks. Are you saying that when you click on the two expandable items, they don't expand?

On the Milonic site menu I saw an item that said 'Collapsable Menu' coming soon. Is that what you are refering to? The page: http://milonic.com/treemenu/collapse/ has some errors, so it makes me think its not quite ready. It looks like it works like mine does, except mine is in more of a free text form.
--Donald
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Well at the left side I see the setup like this [no dots of course but I need them here to get the 'layout' I see]

Calendar
...................................Home
........................Our Ministries
..................................Events
......................Light for Today
..............Contact Us & Prayer
..............................About Us

Is this what you are talking about? Because if I try to click on the word Calendar I get nothing, no indication that it is clickable. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

Ruth
dlpirl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by dlpirl »

'Calendar' is just a place holder. It is not clickable. You'll notice that the items below that correspond to the Milonic horizontal menu (with one addition). Just try clicking 'Our Ministries' or 'About Us' to see the menu expansion.
--Donald