image on top of horizontal menu

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Jaco
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

image on top of horizontal menu

Post by Jaco »

Hello, I would like to place an image on top of a horizontal menu right at the top of the page. It seems to me that's the easiest way to have changes to the image easily distributed to all pages.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Jacques
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I don't know what you mean about putting images on top of the menu. If you have an image menu, then any page that has the call for the menu data file will have the same images and when you change an image in the data file, then it will change on all pages that use that data file.

Could you give me an example of what you mean?

Ruth
Jaco
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Jaco »

Hi Ruth, I am talking about an image that sits right on top of the menu, could be a logo, as on my web site right now:

http://www.lightmypump.com

Could I use bgdimage property for this?

Would the Google seach box be visible in that case?

Cheers,

Jacques
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I'm really sorry, but I still don't understand. At this point on that page you have an image at the top and the menu is right below it. Are you saying you want the image to be over the menu so the menu is behind the image? That's not possible, well it probably is using divs and z-index but I would have no idea how to do that and can't think why you'd want to hide the menu.

Are you asking if you can have a menu that has a top 'row' with an image in it, and a bottom row with the links. That is possible, if you use divides and cut the image that will be in the top divide, since the top divide will have as many 'item' spaces as the bottom, so the image would have to be cut to fit.

Or if you are wanting an image at the top that is a background image you can do that using css on your page. This really isn't something you'd do in the menu.

I'm sorry I'm still not understanding what you want.

Ruth
Jaco
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Jaco »

It's the second paragraph. It's sounds like it can be done with the menu but probably best to do it in css. I'll have to bone up on css.

Thanks.

Jacques
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't understand and couldn't be more help. The page you sent me to looks fine with the image you have there above the menu. If you want you can set up your page so that the top part is a table with two rows, with the logo as a bgimageand the second row with the menu, you can do that. This would mean the menu would always be where it is placed no matter what the resolution.

Ruth
Jaco
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Jaco »

The problem with using css for this, is that you can position the image in css but you must call the image on each html page. Is that correct?

If yes, that's not a good solution for a site with many pages.

Jacques
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

That depends on your layout. If you're using a template and all the pages have the same layout, then you could set up the top div or table whatever it is to either have an id or a class assigned to it, then you'd set up the background for that div or table in the class in the css file. Of course you then have to call the css file on all pages, but you have to call a lot of things on all the pages anyway.

Ruth