Tooltips Problem

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Tooltips Problem

Post by bobwill »

I am running menu version 5.790 and tooltips.js file version 2.8 - October 11 2007

I have had the following line of code in my menu data file for a long time. I just noticed that it no longer works. The problem has to do with the escape characters in the code.

Code: Select all

aI("text=Tip 1;offbgcolor=yellow;offcolor=black;tooltip=<b>Forming A New Team?<br>Need Help Or Information?<br><br>Look Under The \"State Information Menu!\"<br>Click On \"Request New Team Info.\";");
The above line will not be displayed when you mouseover. If I removed the escape characters and the double quotes then it will work.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Tooltips Problem

Post by Ruth »

Hi Bob,

Try this. Normally you can use quote marks, but I think the \ are causing the problem, so with them you need to use the code for the quotes. At least that seems to be what's happening :)

aI("text=Tip 1;offbgcolor=yellow;offcolor=black;tooltip=<b>Forming A New Team?<br>Need Help Or Information?<br><br>Look Under The \"State Information Menu!\"<br>Click On \"Request New Team Info.\";");
Ruth
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Thanks, Ruth, but the code that I have been using has been place for over a year. All of a sudden it does not work. I do not think that the "\" is the problem. The escape character is a "\". I thin there something wrong with the latest release code. What I am saying is why all of a sudden this no longer works?????
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Bob,

Those are questions you have to ask Milonic. Neither John nor I know anything about the programming itself and what might cause something like that to have worked before and now no longer work. I can only think that some change in the menu programming or in the tooltip module is what caused it.

Ruth
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Can you forward this on to the right people?
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Try this:
aI("text=Tip 1;offbgcolor=yellow;offcolor=black;tooltip=<b>Forming A New Team?<br>Need Help Or Information?<br><br>Look Under The \\\"State Information Menu!\\\"<br>Click On \\\"Request New Team Info.\\\";");
You need to double escape double quotes.
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

OK, Andy that worked. This looks more like triple escape. So if I wanted to use single quotes would I then have

\\'

Any way thanks for your time.
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

OK, Andy that worked. This looks more like triple escape. So if I wanted to use single quotes would I then have

\\'

Any way thanks for your time.