Forum Changes

A forum for topics relating to the Milonic Solutions Website, Milonic products, polls and anything else relating to Milonic.

Which theme do you want as the new default?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:15 am

Leave it alone (subSilver)
43%
Blue Grass
No votes
FI SubSilver Shadow
No votes
Let us choose our own default
43%
Some other theme (comment below)
14%

Total votes: 7

Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Forum Changes

Post by Hergio »

Hey all, got a couple forum changes for you to try out and comment on.

First, there are two new themes added to the milonic menu forum which you can choose to use. Just go to the Profile Link at the top of the page and scroll to where you can pick your theme, pick one of them and Submit and you should get a new looking forum. Try them out and let us know what you think...we may be making one of them the new default. Or if you guys would rather always be able to select the one you want, let us know that too. There are alot of other themes out there, and if you see one you like, email me the URL and we'll see about getting it up here for people to comment on.

Also, I want to run this by Andy, but would you be interested in alittle bit more info being displayed along the left hand side of the view posts pages? Basically where you see people's avatars now, you would also see their gender, age, and astrological sign (if the user so desires to divulge such information of course) as well as a "online" status which would indicate if person is currently also browsing the forum. Let me know and I'll run it by the big man.
Last edited by Hergio on Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
John
 Team
 Team

Re: Forum Changes

Post by John »

Hergio wrote:Also, I want to run this by Andy, but would you be interested in alittle bit more info being displayed along the left hand side of the view posts pages? Basically where you see people's avatars now, you would also see their gender, age, and astrological sign (if the user so desires to divulge such information of course) as well as a "online" status which would indicate if person is currently also browsing the forum. Let me know and I'll run it by the big man.
No.
John
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I probably wouldn't pay much attention to the extra info, but some people like it. I'd say it would be ok if one were able to choose to put up any, all or none of what you listed. :)

Ruth
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

The online status would be a good thing, not sure about too much non-essential info. though. That's best left in the profile.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Ok, c'mon people, only 3 people have voted. I am gettin nothin on this. Maybe we should make new flavors the default for a day or so each so you can get the feel for them, eh?
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I like that idea. That way we could see a few, though I like this. It's easy on the eyes, not excessively 'busy'. Actually, if I had a choice I'd be using this theme with all the white parts of the page changed to a shade of gray a little lighter than the the silver [softer and not so bright on the eyes], but I doubt that is an option :lol:

Ruth
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hergio wrote:Ok, c'mon people, only 3 people have voted. I am gettin nothin on this. Maybe we should make new flavors the default for a day or so each so you can get the feel for them, eh?
Up to 5 as I read it now.

I've noticed that polls of any kind get very little, if any, response here. Don't know if that's just the way it is, or if it's us :oops:
John
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Yeah really, I have noticed that too. They're not exactly busy here. I should visit a couple other forums, see what they got.
Actually, if I had a choice I'd be using this theme with all the white parts of the page changed to a shade of gray
Funny you should say that, unless a website specifically defines the background color for its site, you can set it with your windows settings. A friend of mine actually makes all websites (and documents) he views black with white text. Where this is a pain for him is when a webmaster specified the font to be black, but no background color. So it defaults to his black, so he can't view anything. He has to selectAll to see anything. Just go to your properties on your desktop and change the windows appearance. If you have trouble, google it, and you should find it if you really want to do it, and if you have Windows. I dont know about other systems.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I'll check it out. I have my desktop set at that color but it doesn't show on the web, maybe I have to set it to view the desktop as a web page. Thanks. As to not getting a response, maybe it's that people like it as it is, and are too busy doing the menu to worry about the look of the forum. :lol:

Ruth
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

First I'd like it to log me in when I arrive, not until I try to post and send me back to the beginning.

Then I'd like roses in the morning, calm ocean blue with palm trees around noon and a warm meal in the evening, if it can tell me "Hey got off that seat you've been keeping warm for 15hrs now" that might be good too.

My computer might also have something to say about that :(

I like the male and female icon, I solved that problem an avatar.

:D

maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

maz wrote:First I'd like it to log me in when I arrive, not until I try to post and send me back to the beginning.
Agreed.
maz wrote:Then I'd like roses in the morning, calm ocean blue with palm trees around noon and a warm meal in the evening, if it can tell me "Hey got off that seat you've been keeping warm for 15hrs now" that might be good too.
OK, so I'll send you roses (but I do like those thoughts).

Been meaning to ask (since you mentioned avatar), do you look like yours? ;)
John
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Ruth,
Under Desktop properties > Appearance > Advanced(in XP) you should be able to see a menu dialog that has a picture of a couple windows in it with a box with a button. Anyways, you can click any of these and change their color, ya know, buttons, title bars, etc. Well if you click the white area of the active window, you can change that color. Then any websites that do not specify a bgcolor, will be your color. Same goes for any other documents too, they will all be more pleasing to the eye.

We can put a male/female thing up there too...hmm.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Hi Maniac and Machine,

Couldn't find anything that looked like me, anglo-austrian, not quite a female Gov. Arnold ;) I'll try an avatar that looks like me in my 20's. I'm not sure who it is.

Monster'.'~Maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Never said I didn't like the other one - was just curious... ;)
John
flii
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by flii »

something i've found out that might help you guys... if you keep your favorites set to " index.php?sid= [long string of numbers]
" you will stay logged in. going to " index.php " you will always have to log in again. wish i could disable the linking so this was easier to read, but i didn't find the pref.

i don't very much look like my avatar either. :( "flii" comes from my full sn "bttrflii", and when i still used bttrflii most people guessed i was female. that is, if they could figure out what bttrflii meant. heh. being flii makes people think of "flea" for some reason, so i don't get many people asking if i'm "really a girl" anyway. then again, people actually do spell it right more often. :D maybe i should put some long hair on my butterfly...
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Flii is a really pretty butterfly 8) After a few attempts of landing the bookmark I got it.

I spy strange movements accross the forums :)

Regards,
maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

maz wrote:I spy strange movements accross the forums :)
Just some clean-up and better organization. Trying to make things easier for folks.
John
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

I'm happy with the changes. Lot less clutter. I don't suppose there was any need for the V3 developments and news pages now it's been discontinued. The more we can get over to V5, the less time we have to spend browsing between the two.

Eventually, perhaps it could allow for specific subject areas of the V5 menu help to appear?
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Yeah thats the idea Andy. We are even considering slowly locking down the v3 forum, so it essentially becomes read-only. That way that huge respository of data on the v3 menu is still there for viewing and searching, but it kinda urges people to move to v5. Anyone with support contracts specifically for v3 can still contact us directly for one-on-one help as per their contract, but the open forum on the old menu will hopefully become a thing of the past.

Yeah the new sections are much more organized. As Milonic releases new products over the next couple months, we will create separate forums for those products as well. Trying to minimize cross talk between products. And having the one forum for v5 really keeps things tight which we like, no confusion for users, if it has to do with v5, put it there. No more deciding, well, should this go in the bug area or the problem area, yadda yadda.

Thanks for the compliments. ;)
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hergio wrote:<stuff>
Ditto :!:
John