Free Licenses

A forum for topics relating to the Milonic Solutions Website, Milonic products, polls and anything else relating to Milonic.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Free Licenses

Post by Andy »

By the end of this week the free downloads for licensed users WILL be Milonic link free again.

We are going to put our trust in people that they will help us to help them by adhering to our pretty humble requirements, i.e. copyright, link, let us know. It's simple really.

However, those users that do not have a license will have to go through our usual free license checks. This is now a full time job and unfortunately salaries have to be paid. So to cover this cost, a very small admin charge of about 3-4 bucks will be required. This is non-profit money, it's purely to cover our costs. Once the license has been approved it will be a lifetime license and a lifetime of upgrades, you wont have to apply again for the same domain name.

I didn't want to go down this route as I can hear people complaining now but we only need to cover our costs.

So that's that, once the system is in place, we'll see how it goes. It would so much easier for us to NOT do free licenses but that's not what we are about and we want to help where we can but we can't do this free forever. For instance, non-profits get tax concessions, we do not. If we did, things might be a little different.

Regards
Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Sounds more than fair to me.
John
Googolplex
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Googolplex »

I agree, sounds just perfect :D

Keep up the good work Andy ;)
4viggo
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by 4viggo »

Still leaves you with all the work, each site needs to be verified etc. :?

But it's close to my suggestion of having a cheap license without support, and a more expensive one with full support. :D

( I am still going to buy one for full price )

Keep up the excellent work :D

regards
4viggo
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Definetly fair. Yeah I think you will get those people that will still complain about the 5 bucks but then again you will also get those people oh so happy that its just 5 bucks! Know what I mean? ;) Keep it up!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

Andy, do you have a personal Paypal account that we can donate money to? If the tax makes it not worth doing commercially, surely there is no harm in making it a personal gift?
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Even gifts are taxable :cry:

You can use paypal address milonicmenu hat milonic.com but we'll still have to generate a receipt for this.

Cheers
Andy
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

I don't think the $5 charge is unreasonable. I can't see anyone coming up with an excuse of not to pay it.

Would it be any help in recruiting volunteers to check the sites for you? I am sure many of us have some spare time that we could put to good use in this way.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

I know how it helps to automate tasks, so I'll throw this idea out, there are portals for matching organization name and EIN (employer id no.) to determine legitimate non-profits.

Other factors that throw this off, is locating the correct portal by country, and locating the organization or institute parent id of the applicant.

Maybe not impossible to automate the proccess.

Regards
maz
kfisker
Beginner
Beginner

How do i obtain a free license?

Post by kfisker »

Hello

I'm currently making a homepage for an amateur football club in Denmark. There's no money involved in the making of this site.

Though i find your menu very usefull for us, i don't like the button with the link to your website, as it is in the free version.

I have read that it's possible to get permission to use a free license, without the button, but instead use a link to your webside elsewhere, and i would like to ask for a free license.

I have read about the fee, and have no problem with that, but i can't seem to find any information on how to apply for a free license, and how to pay for it.

Can someone please help me.

In advance, thanks :)
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Go to the following links and I think your question will be answered.

http://www.milonic.co.uk/nplicense.php

http://milonic.com/licfaq.php
DeepTii
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DeepTii »

Thank you, the Milonic team for giving out free licenses to charity sites. With your tool I have been able to enhance the browsibility of my site to a great extent.

This in turn, helps the readers to navigate in the site much better.

I will find a place on my site to place a logo linking to your site. The current site is still under construction and can be viewed at:

http://www.buddhasasana.net

Thanks again for your great work and charity.

Best regards,

Yi-Lei Wu
Silverion
Advanced
Advanced

payment?

Post by Silverion »

Believe me, I wouldn't mind paying the money for so called administrative non-profit purposes (lol, right!) but seriously, I dont know your payment options or how these things work. I can only pay by cash in US dollars, and even then I don't know what the exchange is. Someone please help
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Step 1 - Create and Account for http://milonic.com by going here, then clicking the "creat account" button. Fill out the form on the resulting page. Remember the email address you create the account with, because you will use that to log in for future sessions.

Step 2 - Once logged into the site, go here and follow the steps to obtain a non-profit license. If you are logged in, the 5 pound fee should automatically convert to your local currency, using current exchange rates.

As to purchasing... the purchase page says that Milonic accepts cash, but I do not know the procedure. I would imagine they'd invoice you and you'd send the cash, but that's just a guess.

I've never applied for a free license myself, so that's about as far as I can help with this. Anyone else?

Kevin
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

If you can only pay with cash I am assuming you do not have a credit card or a checking account. If this is correct, and cash is your only option, I think you should get yourself a money order or certified check. Basically take the cash to a local bank or convenience store and there you may be able to have a money order created for the small admin fee. Just send that using snail mail.

Another option that I have seen used is if you have any friends who have a credit card, have them pay the small fee with their card and just give them the cash. It all works out in the end.

Anything you can do to help support this menu system is greatly appreciated!!!!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
Silverion
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Silverion »

thanks. my whole site is based around your menu system (http://digital.dyns.net) and I do want to support the hard work you guys have put up for this menu, especially all the volunteer admin. without you guys, this website would be lamoo! thanks for everything!
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Thank you. Your kind words are most appreciated!
John
Silverion
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Silverion »

woah, woah woah. you said the license was 5 bucks, right? then why does it say this on nplicense.php:
The cost for the administration is currently:
* $9.31 in US Dollar plus VAT if applicable. *
i'd pay 5 bucks no problem, but 10 bucks?????? thats askin for a little more there....
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

The original note from Andy was posted over 4 months ago. Costs go up, or hadn't you heard. Development on this menu has been almost literally a 7 day a week passion for Milonic. You obviously have no idea at all what has gone into this menu system, nor, apparently, do you care. Otherwise you wouldn't be ragging about a few measly bucks, especially given what the product can do.

In my personal opinion (I do not work for Milonic), you would be better off finding another menu elsewhere.
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

A lot of this is due to the current exchange rate.

4 months ago the full menu was around $36.00, today it is around $44.00 and we've not changed the price.

Unfortunately, we have no control over the World's monetary system and to keep the costs the same for US would mean we lose money.

The price of the non-profit license is actually £5 (GBP) - converted to dollar is almost $10, 4 months ago this would have been around $7.50

-- Andy