Help the New Guy - Install Menu

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
gwoodard
Advanced
Advanced

Help the New Guy - Install Menu

Post by gwoodard »

:oops: I am embarassed to ask, but I need assistance.
Is there anyone out here who would be willing to take a look at
http://www.usfamily.net/web/gv.woodard and tell me what I am doing wrong?

I am using Dreamweaver and have inserted a JavaScript and pointed it toward the menu_array.js and a second one and pointed it toward mmenu.js.

Thanks for helping out the new guy! ;)
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

What, exactly, is not working? I see a completely functional menu system.
John
gwoodard
Advanced
Advanced

Re: was Help the New Guy - Now Vertical Rather than Horiz...

Post by gwoodard »

John,

I failed to post after I figured things out!

Now another question. I would actually like to have the menu display vertically rather than horizontally, and inside my table. When I change the array setting to display this way, it seems that the menu is looking for arrows. How do I get the menu to find the arrows that I have uploaded.

Thanks. And actually the menu has been posted at the following website:
http://www.usfamily.net/web/gv.woodard/ ... mation.htm
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Looks like it should work if you really have your arrow.gif loaded in the root. I see other image files loaded at wfo_files/ and various other locations.
John
gwoodard
Advanced
Advanced

Post by gwoodard »

Thanks John. I will make the change to Horizontal and post the results. And regarding my files, I know I need to clean up and get rid of redundancies :oops: . I don't think I have the file loaded in the root. In fact I do not know what this means.
Also, could you or anyone suggest good methods of organization of files?

Greg
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I always try to keep common files together; e.g., menu files in /menu5/, all graphics in /images/, etc. If I need a sub-directory for a different part of the site I may or may not put an /images/ file in there just for that sub. Depends on how deep and complex that section will be. Something like putting the salt in one cabinet and the pepper in another across the room - makes no sense.

Some folks say it's extra work (they just dump everything in the same directory), but to me it's better organization which makes things easier all around.
I don't think I have the file loaded in the root. In fact I do not know what this means.
If I remember right your arrow statement said simply "arrow.gif". That means the system expects to find it in the same directory as your .htm (.html) files (the root level). Other graphics were located in wfo_files/xxx.gif, or whatever, and even some other locations. Confusing.
John
gwoodard
Advanced
Advanced

Post by gwoodard »

Thanks John! I will follow your advice. I try to be organized, but being new to all of this, I do not always know which files to upload and which to not upload.

Thanks again,

Greg
gwoodard
Advanced
Advanced

Check this Out!

Post by gwoodard »

:D OK! I have updated the page and all of my files will be in order soon!! They are soo organized on my local machine and I will synch my remote site as soon as I am back on a LAN. Anyway, I have made what I think are some very nice changes to http://www.usfamily.net/web/gv.woodard/ ... mation.htm. I have made the menu horizontal and the settings have it inside my table.
My question is this. Is there a way to make the box a bit bigger? I would like the arrows to be a space away from the text.

Thanks!
gwoodard
Advanced
Advanced

Menu in Different Browsers

Post by gwoodard »

Hi all. I just checked my website http://www.usfamily.net/web/gv.woodard/ ... mation.htm in a version 5 IE browser and noticed that the menu extends all the way across the screen. The menu works great in IE 6. I have checked no other browsers.
Is this a known bug, or are my setting wrong?

Thanks!!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I have IE5, you need to put in a width for the menu. In the menu_array.js file go down to the section that has that 'mainmenu' You put in position numbers for top, left and right below that if you put in 202 for menu width it will stay inside that box you have the menu in. Also, you have two submenus called other sites so only the first one shows up, the one with Greg's writings and etc. on it, the second one doesn't come up, the one with wired news and such. You need to rename that submenu to something else. Also, if you want the Greg's Writings & Presentations to come up on one line instead of wrapping, try taking out the menu width 140 in that submenu.

Ruth
gwoodard
Advanced
Advanced

IE5 Issues

Post by gwoodard »

Ruth,

Thanks for the suggested corrections. I will make them later today!