overLIB script ?????

A forum for, well, anything really.
Gripes, moans, ideas or just general chit chat. EXCEPT SPAM!!! - Don't just register to post here - IT WILL GET DELETED!!!
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

overLIB script ?????

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

Thought I'd try you on this since although this is not your software, I'm stuck.

I'm good at copying but not creating.

I'm trying to add a phrase to my site and then use overLIB to pop up verbiage if the mouse is over the phrase.

I have added this prep code to a test page"

<script type="text/javascript" src="overlib.js"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup --></script>

and this script

<div id="overDiv" style="position:absolute; visibility:hidden; z-index:1000;"></div>

But I don't know where to put the script that shows on my page. I want to use this "sticky" popup

<a href="javascript:void(0);" onmouseover="return overlib('This is what
we call a sticky, since I stick around (it goes away if you move the mouse
OVER and then OFF the overLIB popup--or mouseover another overLIB).',
STICKY, MOUSEOFF);" onmouseout="return nd();">here</a>

Here are the instructions: http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/?Documentation

If this is out of your purview or not an appropriate topic for here I understand.

Blessings,

Thewolfe
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: overLIB script ?????

Post by Ruth »

Hi Doug,

Can you please give me your test page? I am not a read and then I can do it person, I really need the stuff that I can be hands on. Also, I'm wondering what you are trying to do because I think you can do it, if I understand correctly, with Milonic which would save you a lot of work. There are things that will work on a text link and such, it doesn't have to be inside the menu.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

Here's the test page www.dougsstuff.com/index_next_overlib.htm I've just added the word "overLIB" in the left-hand column toward the bottom of my site.

I want to have a popup "mouse over" when the mouse is over the word overLIB

What I actually want to do is have a Bible quiz question there and then you could hold your mouse over it to get the answer.

And this is overLIB's script I was looking at which I don't know what to do with.

<a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="return overlib('This is a sticky
with a caption. And it is centered under the mouse!', STICKY, CAPTION,
'Sticky!', CENTER);" onmouseout="nd();">Click here!</a>

Thanks, as always,

Doug
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

And to reiterate, even If I can get their verbiage "Click here" in that left hand column then I can add my verbiage and do the old copy and paste trick where necessary.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Ruth, I had a friend who knows something about script and said he tested it and it didn't work on his site. ????????
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Well, I got it to work on my desktop, not sure about on your site. Not sure exactly what it is you want. Milonic has a module called 'tooltips' which can be used in a menu, or on an html object and that module is part of your downloaded menu package. Here is the example http://milonic.com/tooltips.php As you'll see the top part is actually a full Milonic menu which gives a 'tip' when you mouse over items. Below that you will see text links where you also can get the 'tip' That tip is whatever you make it say. If you decide to use that, let me know and I can help you set it up however you like, since I know that module. You would not have to put any kind of div on the page like with the other and you'd just add the call for the tooltips after your array.js file.

Now, as to the other one, this is what I did. I put the following on your page below the body tag, I'm including the body tag for you to see it all as it appears with the other code

Code: Select all

<BODY link=#0000ff bgColor=#0066cc text=#0000ff vLink=#0000ff>
<DIV style="Z-INDEX: 1000; POSITION: absolute; VISIBILITY: hidden" 
id=overDiv></DIV>
<script language="JavaScript" src="overlib.js"></script>
Then I went to his documentation page and viewed the source, did a search for the word here until I found the place that had the links 'here' and 'here' then I copied and pasted them in your column at the left side, in the code I'm posting I included a part of your page so you can see where I put it. That seems to work.

Code: Select all

<SPAN 
            style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial Black; COLOR: #0066cc"><A 
            style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single" 
            href="http://websites.milonic.com/bobbiesbook.com/" target=_blank><FONT 
            style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt" 
            color=#0066cc>http://bobbiesbook.com/</FONT></A></SPAN></B></P>
            <HR color=#0066cc noShade>
<a href="javascript:void(0);" onmouseover="return overlib('This is an ordinary popup.')" onmouseout="return nd();">here</a> and <a href="javascript:void(0);" onmouseover="return overlib('This is what we call a sticky, since I stick around (it goes away if you move the mouse OVER and then OFF the overLIB popup--or mouseover another overLIB).', STICKY, MOUSEOFF)" onmouseout="return nd();">here</a>
As to whatever you want the text to say and what you want the tip to say, you'll have to do that part yourself.

If you decide to use the tooltip that comes with Milonic, let me know and I can help you set it up. You can control the tips as to position where they open, left of the text, above the text, below it, at the right of it; you can even put an image and position them by the image [I think, that one I will have to look into. You can have them open very fast so there is no real delay, have them open fast but fade in and also fade out [the fade will only show in IE since it is proprietary to Microsoft and its over and out filters] You can change the background color to be what you want, the fonts, the text color and so on.

Hope this helps. Oh, there is a new version of the menu. I'm going to put up the info tonight. You should go to the Product Updates forum and somewhere at the bottom you can 'subscribe' to that forum. Then when there is an update you will get an email and can update your menu version. If you want more info about that, just post back in the help section.

Ruth