IE filters using v3.4.03

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
pat@dracoblu.com
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

IE filters using v3.4.03

Post by pat@dracoblu.com »

Hi ....

I recently upaded from 3.3.19 to 3.4.03 and I noticed a change with the performance of the IE filter I was using. I can no longer get it to work - gradient wipe.

Here is the snipit of code I have in my menu_array.js.....

// Special effect string for IE5.5 or above please visit http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/filters_sample.php for more filters
if(navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.0")>0)
{
effect = "gradientwipe(size=1.00, wipestyle=0, motion=Forward, duration=0.7)"
}
else
{
effect = "gradientwipe(size=1.00, wipestyle=0, motion=Forward, duration=0.7)" // Stop IE5.5 bug when using more than one filter
}

I am wondering if anyone can see the problem with why it is not working? I am also curious if with each version update one needs to be worried about updating the menu_array.js? Normally I don't bother and only update mmenu.js, but upon discovering the filter not working with this latest update I took a closer look at menu_array.js and noticed the above code had been changed from what I had - there was no if / else statement.

Any help with my questions would be helpful. Thanks, Pat.

PS - the website is http://www.dracoblu.com if you want to see the menu live.
jimsohn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: IE filters using v3.4.03

Post by jimsohn »

I took a look at your site and have a comment regarding the placement of your menu on the page.

Netscape has a problem when a menu item appears over a field. I cannot see some of your dropdown selections as a result of this (search field).

If your menu was placed higher on the page this would not be a problem for us Netscape users. All is well with the IE browser.
pat@dracoblu.com
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Hi Jim...

Thanks for the feedback. What version of Netscape would you be using? I also run v6.2 of Netscape and it works fine....

Pat
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hi Pat -

Under 4.79 I see your failure. I had the same problem, and, as usual, Andy to the rescue! See my http://westcgi.west.asu.edu/sai/staff/ads/post.cfm and drop the Tech menu under both NS 4.79 and IE. Note that the menu would cross some of the form fields as yours does, and under NS would fall behind those fields. However, as you can see, under NS the entire form vanishes when any menu is dropped, and returns when the menu is released. Pretty neat.

Here's the trick... place your entire form within a <div...>. Mine looks like this...

<div id="posting" style="position:relative">
<cfform action="post_action.cfm" method="post">

Don't forget the </div> right after the </form>...

</cfform>
</div>

...and the 'style' statement in the <div>.

In menu_array add the name of your new <div> in the appropriate place...

addmenu(menu=["tech",106,200,140,0,"",style1,,"left",effect,,,,,,,,"posting",,,,

This is the '// ID of the div you want to hide on MouseOver (useful for hiding form elements)' component. You can add this to all your menus or just those that would conflict with the form element(s).

That should do it.

John
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Addendum...

Obviously (I hope), if you are not using ColdFusion do not use the <cfform> and </cfform> tags, just plain ol' <form> and </form>.

John
pat@dracoblu.com
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

John....

Thanks for the </div> tip. I have set up a test page with the code you suggested at http://www.dracoblu.com/test.html ....Would you mind having a look at it with your Netscape browser to see if that did the trick?
I did not make any change to my menu_array file as you suggested, as this particular form I don't wish to be part of the dynamic menu.

Thanks for your help....Pat

PS - Do you have any suggestions re. my orignal question on IE filters? Could this be a bug issue?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Pat -

No good - sorry. For this to work you _must_ add the name (id) of your <div> to the array file as I noted...

In menu_array add the name of your new <div> in the appropriate place...

addmenu(menu=["tech",106,200,140,0,"",style1,,"left",effect,,,,,,,,"posting",,,,

This is the '// ID of the div you want to hide on MouseOver (useful for hiding form elements)' component. You can add this to all your menus or just those that would conflict with the form element(s).

If not done, the menu doesn't know which <div> to hide and you'll still have the menu-in-the-back problem! :-)

As for the filter issue, I can see a clean left to right wipe in IE6, so I'm not really sure what you're asking.

John
pat@dracoblu.com
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

John....

Thanks for the additional info. Could I see your URL where you have this in place? My concern is this. The search form in question is part of every page of my site. By making it an explicit part of the dynamic menu would be redundant, although I understand this is the fix for this particular problem of the menu hiding behind the box. Perhaps if I saw your example, I may be able to see things differently.

As for the filter issue, there must be a bug with IE5.5 then. I get no effect, whereas I did before 3.4.03 (ie. 3.3.19).

Thanks again...

Pat
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Pat -

From above (sorry - gotta pick on somebody at this hour!)...

See my http://westcgi.west.asu.edu/sai/staff/ads/post.cfm and drop the Tech menu under both NS 4.79 and IE. Note that the menu would cross some of the form fields as yours does, and under NS would fall behind those fields. However, as you can see, now under NS
pat@dracoblu.com
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

...no believe me John I am feelin' old. Sorry for my brain fog, I do understand what is happening after visiting your page and the code required for the menu_array.js. Thanks for your patience.

I've decided to flip the position of my form and menu so there won't be a conflict. I don't like the effect of info disappearing upon mouseover of the menu. This may not solve my problem on a couple of pages where I have other forms, but I can live with it for now.

Thanks again John...I appreciate all your help :)

Pat
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

My pleasure, Pat. And don't worry about it - Andy had to put up with my 'fog' when I went through the same problem! :-)

John
pat@dracoblu.com
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Just an FYI....

The IE5.5 filter problem I was having with earlier versions is now corrected with the latest v3.4.07

Thanks!