Can I use Alt or NoScript tags to get my site Crawled?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Queenan
Beginner
Beginner

Can I use Alt or NoScript tags to get my site Crawled?

Post by Queenan »

:?:
Does anyone know if it's possible to add some type of alt or noscript tag to the menu_array file so that webcrawlers will pick up the linked pages within my site. I exclusively using the Milonic Nav on my site so there are no other consistant links to other pages within the site. I want to ensure that webcrawlers see the additional pages and read them.

Does anyone have an example of the syntax used?

I do not want to have any additional text rendered on my pages. Im looking for something that is completly hidden from view but acknowleged by spiders?

Many Thanks,
:D
Mike -
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Mike,

Have a look at this article.

Kevin
flii
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by flii »

does anyone know of a tool somewhere that will convert milonic menus into nice html code for noscript tags? i read this article, and it doesn't appear that milonic has this for their code. i didn't come across any by searching google, but to be honest, though, i could have searched for the wrong terms, so don't take my word for it.

i'll keep my fingers crossed. :) if i had wanted to spend time making html/css menus, i wouldn't have paid for milonic. heh.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

We use <noscript> tags on the home page here - they work quite well.

A sitemap builder is coming soon that will help even more.

Cheers
Andy
flii
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by flii »

Andy wrote:A sitemap builder is coming soon that will help even more.
sounds good andy! until that happy day though, will i have to do it by hand or is there an online utility that can do a rough job?

good luck with the builder. :)

thanks,
~ cj
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Unfortunately so yes.

it won't be long before we can get something ready

Cheers
Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

That can be read more than one way. The answer is yes, you will have to do it by hand for now (but not for long!).
John
flii
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by flii »

has there been an update on this?

i'm not sure how long "not long" is for a single person trying to conquer the world. :P i haven't seen any updates on the main site, but then again i could very well have overlooked it.

thanks, as always.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

This may not be the place for this and it may not even be possible but I saw it related to the menu and html links so I thought I'd ask the question here. Wondering if it would be possible to create a tool [and I am not programming knowledgeable so it may be much too time consuming to do it] = but to create a tool that would convert the menu links to html links say on a page so that those of use with programs that let us do 'check links' can use it, without having to hand code every single link? I'd think that would almost be something that a lot of webmasters would buy, especially with all the new menus moving to the type that milonic is. Just curious.

Ruth
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

It's on the To-do list.

I've no idea when it will get done though - I've got too many other things to finish first.

It is important and will happen though.

Cheers
Andy
Martin
Mega User
Mega User

Post by Martin »

I can confirm, that a noscript section ist really import to get crawled.
If you're using a database to manage the menu items, you can loop the table and generate the sitemap inside of the noscript-tags. If not, you have to create the sitemap manually.

I always append a simple (an anchor-tag) sitemap-Link somewhere at the end of the page.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

I can confirm, that a noscript section ist really import to get crawled.

Agreed, <NOSCRIPT> is essential for SE placement whilst using the menu.

You can view the source code from our website if you need to see how we do it.

We get number one placement at the moment for dhtml menu on Google and this is definately because of the <noscript> tag. Without this Google would not see anything due to the JavaScript menu that Google cannot see.

Cheers
Andy
Martin
Mega User
Mega User

Post by Martin »

Searches engines are really old fashioned guys. The are looking for titles, text and anchors. If the header is too big, the won't crawl the complete body.

To avoid this, i add the script-statements always at the end of the html-file.

If the menuitems are generated by a database, add the ui-thing at the end of the html-file also. This gives the search engines the chance to grab real content. Google parses dhtml-stuff, but the content makes no sense for SE's at all.

cheers