menu display in Opera and NS

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
erwin-mail@laposte.net
Advanced
Advanced

menu display in Opera and NS

Post by erwin-mail@laposte.net »

I can't get the menus displayed correctly in Opera 6 and NS4. the menu displays the menu background colour correctly for the width of the string but displays a "space" with another colour for shorter menu items.

Any thoughts?
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Re: menu display in Opera and NS

Post by Andy »

Try to increase the (sub)menu width until it fits.
erwin-mail@laposte.net
Advanced
Advanced

Thanks for the response. The problem I have with it is that I populate the menu strings dynamically depending on the language preferences of the site visitor. Therefore, it would be a mess having to recalculate the menu width every time...

Any other suggestions?

I thought that the menus would work across different browsers, so maybe there is something that I am missing?

Thanks for your help,

Erwin
erwin-mail@laposte.net
Advanced
Advanced

For information, I am using:

menu Version 3.4.03.
IE6, NS4.08, Opera6.01.

Erwin
df7nw01@gmx.de

Post by df7nw01@gmx.de »

Why do u still use Netscape 4? Its much too old to fit the demands of modern webdesign like DHTML and things like that. I personally use IE 6, NS 6 and Opera 6 to develop my sites, Netscape 4 can't correctly display HTML 4.0, CSS 2.0 and has many problems with Javascript 1.3!
erwin-mail@laposte.net
Advanced
Advanced

Well, I use it because there are still many people out there that use it.

The only reason I don't use IE4 for development as well is because of the (in)famous integration of post win95 operating systems and IE... but my guess is that if the site is viewed correctly on NS4 then it is likely to be viewed similarly OK in IE4 (we all know it is not fully true, so the final and ultimate testing is performed on an old machine).

As for the menu width, I have the same issue on Opera 6.01 AND NS4, so it is not only that old technology that is not displaying them correctly.

What puzzles me is: do the menus display correctly on your machines?

Erwin
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Stefan -

Unfortunately not everybody keeps up with the latest versions, and if you want your site to be available, as a developer you have to allow for that (to a certain point). We have a problem here with many folks still using NS4. I would, however, suggest that Erwin at least get up to NS4.79 as it has many improvements (but still much missing) over the 4.08 he mentioned.

John
df7nw01@gmx.de

Post by df7nw01@gmx.de »

So far, thats true. But every time I watch my server statistics and see almost 98% of my visitors using Internet Explorer 5.0 and higher and 1% using Netscape 6 and Opera I always ask why I always look for best compatibility... ;-)
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Stefan -

I believe our situations are pretty much the same. Never thought I'd be saying this (especially publicly!), but IE has NS beat - although the Mac versions are lagging behind (even OS X latest) in a fashion similar to the NS faults. In my university setting I am forced to try and cover all the bases - tough when you're trying to be creative. Even though IE is the recommended browser here I can't even put up a statement to that effect.

Politics...

John
erwin-mail@laposte.net
Advanced
Advanced

John and Stefan,

I completely have to agree with you both on the outcome of the IE/NS battle...

Well, NS warned it would happen if certain practices were not suppressed...

But, more importantly, I have found how to display the menu correctly: I set the border colour to the same value as the background. This was acceptable in my case, since I was not using the border.

One thing remains unsolved: when you hover over the menu with the mouse, only the background behind the menu text changes colour (i.e. the word length and not the entire row, as it does with IE).

Hope this is useful for other people as well. Any suggestions on this issue are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erwin