Version 3.3.0 Is ready for testing

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
pat@dracoblu.com
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: Version 3.3.0 Is ready for testing

Post by pat@dracoblu.com »

<HTML>Hi Andy....

The menu looks good, but here are a few obeservations I noted with three browsers noted:

Mac OS 8.5 IE 5.02
- Everything checks out!! All of the changes you outlined worked, although I could not evaluate processing power. I could only find one small problem; the submenus for "downloads" and "configuration" appeared between "development" and "downloads". And their sub-menus were further to the left again.

Win 98 IE 5.5
- Yikes! The "home" column took up the whole width of my screen at 800x600 resolution. The submenus only appear under the "home" column. As well, one small note re. the vertical menu - the sub-menu arrows are slightly over the titles.

Win 98 Netscape 6.2
- Looks and works just fine :). I only noted the sub-menu arrows in the vertical menu to be slightly over the titles.

I hope this helps you. If you need me to look at anything else, just say the word....Pat</HTML>
kenidjack@aol.com
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kenidjack@aol.com »

<HTML>I get the same message as Scott when viewing on Mac OS9 in both IE 4.5 and Netscape 4 too.

Not Found. The requested URL /menu/beta/menu.css was not found on this server.Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.</HTML>
ton@verhagen.net
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ton@verhagen.net »

<HTML>Hi Andy,

The new menu looks wonderful. Well done!

My observations Opera 6 on NT4.0

Mainmenu loads top left, right under the Logo. After page has been built,
menu moves to the table cell.

When hovering over left menu everything seems to be acting normally.

Hovering over 'home' in the mainmenu is also okay.
However as soon as the mouse hovers over either one of 'samples',
'menu creator', etc the following error occurs:

Error:
name: TypeError
message: Attempted to call non-function: has undefined value: 'stop'

Best regards,

-- Ton</HTML>
cerkens@omaha.lib.ne.us
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cerkens@omaha.lib.ne.us »

<HTML>Tested in NS 4.08 and it works! Looks really good!

Glad things are back up and working well :)</HTML>
Theemethod@mediaone.net
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Theemethod@mediaone.net »

<HTML>Hey guys great menu, but the dl link is broken, can't wait to get the newest verison, any help would be appreciated.</HTML>
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

<HTML>Although it has not officialy been released yet you can get it from http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu

I'll announce the release as soon as I can.

-- Andy</HTML>

Version 3.3.0 Is ready for testing

Post by Guest »

Version 3.3.0 is now ready for a little testing.

I'm aware of a few bugs that I will get fixed over the next day or so.

Opera 5 has an infinite loop problem when a bottom scroll bar is visible and Netscape 6.0 has a slight sub image positioning problem.

Those of you with Apple Macs might find it beneficial to give the menu a real good going over with regard to previous problems.

Please note that the links don't actually go anywhere, what we are looking for right now are errors and major problems.

Major changes are as follows.

The menu can now be glued (attached) to a table cell. This is one of the most asked for queries and I think one of the best improvements to date. it's still in it's infancy so a little work may be needed but it works much better than I had hoped. And, you guys are the first to see it work. I must admit that I have never seen this done before anywhere on the Web and I almost jumped out my chair when I finally cracked it :-))

Each vertical menu can now contain header cells. They are just menu elements without a hyperlink and a different color, but a nice addition all the same.

Mouseover changes are also apparent and you will notice that the mouse pointer changes to a hand only if a hyperlink is present. None hyperlink element display an arrow, except for Netscape 4, but there isn't much one can do about that browser.

Another big change is the ability to change a single elements color, this can be seen by the red, green and blue menu items.

Those of you with a Wav sound plug-in will notice that a little "pop" sound can be heard when selected certain items, this is to test the OnFunction and OffFunction abilities of the menu. Don't worry if you can't hear them I know that piece of code works quite well.

The menu can now popup a menu from a hyperlink and position the menu by MouseX and MouseY positions.

Finally, and I consider this to be the most important improvement, is the fact that the menu should use absolutely no processing power at all when on standby. Can those of you that can check this please check that this is the case. Much work has gone into this and the performance improvement I have seen so far has been excellent.

<a href=http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/beta>http ... /menu/beta
</a>

Cheers folks

Andy

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Andy,

Tested in IE6 with Windows 2000. Everything looks great. CPU usage for IE is 0.

Netscape is another story, I get the following error when attempting to access the page via Netscape 4.7:

Not Found
The requested URL /menu/beta/menu.css was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This may just be a bad link or a forgotten .css file.

I will test this out on NT 4 tomorrow with IE5 and Netscape 4.7

thanks for all the blood sweat and tears :)

Scott</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Andy,

Tested in IE6 with Win98 - Everything looks great except when the menu first loads it appears directly under the logo, and after a couple of seconds it jumps to the cell. Perhaps this is designed?

Tested in NS 4.61 with Win98 - I also get the following error when attempting to access the page:

The requested URL /menu/beta/menu.css was not found on this server.

I will be able to test this out on NT4 (service pack6) tomorrow with IE5.5 and Netscape 4.

Regards and thanks,
Andre</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Hi Andy,

IE6 on NT4.0

Menu looks and works great.
CPU usage is 0 when menu is idle.

-- Ton</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Hi Andy,

Opera6 and NT4.0

I found the problem. It is related to the 'playsound' feature.

After disabling the playsound function, Opera 6 started to behave okay :-)

Hope this helps.

-- Ton</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Andy,

The above error in Netscape is now fixed. I tested menu in IE5 and Nescape 4.7 today on NT4 service pack 4. Everything looks and works great in both browsers. CPU usage for IE was 0 while idle, Netscape used between 0 and 5 when Idle. I also rechecked on Win 2000 Pro with IE 6 and Nescape 4.7, everything looks right and performs as it should.

thanks
Scott</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Andy,

Tested Beta in IE5.5 and NS4.61 on NT4 (pk6) - 2 things I noticed in both:

1. In the vertical menu at left, the arrows are crowded onto the text of the menu item; and,

2. When "Toggle Follow Scrolling" is clicked under configuration, the menu scrolls up the page and disappears above the top of the browser window if the window is less than maximized. Perhaps the scroll to positioning is referencing the screen resolution and not window height?

Thanks,
Andre</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Tested on: NT4 with NS4.5.1, IE4.0, IE5.0, IE6.0
Everything looked good, processor was nice and free, I did notice in all of these though that I could fairly easily get the menu to 'stick' open when it normally timed out simply my moving on and off and through sub menus randomly

Tested on NS4.76 on IRIX
worked great! 3.2 was a dog on IRIX but this is fast as all get out. I also had the stick open issue here

Tested on IE5.5 on Win2k
ditto</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Here's a minor usability issue that I've first noticed with the Beta (under IE 5.5 on NT4), but that seems to apply to the release version as well.

Ok, here goes my explanation:

Load the Beta page and then resize the bottom edge of the browser window so that only a very short distance remains between the "glued" menu and the bottom of the browser window.

When you mouse over the top level menu items, if they have submenus that extend downward, some part of the submenus will not be visible since they will be below the browser window.

However, if you mouse over a submenu item that has additional submenus (try "Sample Users"), those child submenus will appear so that they are visible and don't go below the browser window.

I wonder if the default behavior can be changed such that a submenu of the top level can position itself as described above for its child menus. That is, so that the bottom of the submenu does not go below the browser (and perhaps redirect itself upwards).

Let me know if this does not make sense or not worth the effort.
Andre</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>Unfortunately, had problems in IE 4.5 and NS 4.7 using Mac OS 9.0.4

NS4.7 - page reloads every few seconds

IE4.5 - menu is not in table but top left of the page.</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>One bug is if the menu has the "Open the Menus OnClick - leave blank for OnMouseover" option set to "1" and the menu does not have a menu to display (ie: the option would normally when clicked take you to the url), clicking on the menu item doesn't work.

This is an issue because some of my menus have dropdowns, and some of them don't. I'd like to use the OnClick option = 1, but I can't without adding a one item menu to the ones that didn't previously have any menu items. A bit confusing to the end user.

Thanks! Jason</HTML>

Post by Guest »

<HTML>I am using Milonic DHTML Menu version 3.3 on this website and all seems to be working just fine. Just finished the installation today.

I have tested it with Windows 98 with both IE 5.5 and Netscape® Communicator 4.79 and all is well.

Has anyone tested this with Netscape 6?

The website address where I just installed the menu is:
http://www.gbgm-umc.org/alexandriadist/alexhome.html

Earlier today I was having problems with NS aborting when I did a window resize. Thats with the script either between the TITLE/HEAD tags or at the beginning of the BODY tag.

Then I downloaded the new version, made the appropriate changes to the user array and all started working just perfectly with NS. No crashes with a resize.

I am very pleased with the MENU and extend a "Well Done" and thanks to Andy</HTML>