Suggestion: Stripped down version

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
D@niel
Beginner
Beginner

Suggestion: Stripped down version

Post by D@niel »

Hi,

I've been using the menu for about a year now and I think it is great.
Except for one point: bandwith usage. Every visitor has to download about 40KB per page (29KB mmenudom.js, 5KB menu_data.js and 6KB for milonic_src.js). That isn't a problem for small site but my site has about 8.000 pageviews a day and then it is.

I don't use any shading or transition/fade effects, so it would be great to use some sort of stripped down light-version of the menu to save bandwith. Is there some way you can provide that? Or maybe you can tell me which code could safely be removed, so I can do it myself?

Thanks a lot in advance!

/edit: I'm sorry, wrong board.
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Re: Suggestion: Stripped down version

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Dan,
D@niel wrote:...I've been using the menu for about a year now and I think it is great. Except for one point: bandwith usage. Every visitor has to download about 40KB per page...
Unless the visitor has disabled caching in his or her browser (fairly rare I would assume), the .js files will be cached when the first page is loaded. For the same visitor, subsequent pages should load the .js files from the cache. So really, for the majority of users, each visitor only downloads the .js files once; 40K per visit rather than per page. Shouldn't be much of a burden on bandwidth if you look at it that way.

In any case, a lite version isn't a bad idea. I think Milonic has considered it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one down teh road... but probably way down the road!
/edit: I'm sorry, wrong board
No biggie... someone'll move it.

Cheers,

Kevin
D@niel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by D@niel »

Are there any comments regarding a lite-version from the Milonic crew?

/edit: Or can I remove some code myself? I'd like to strip down the menu as much as possible but still keep it working. I don't need shading, fading etc.
Last edited by D@niel on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

D@niel wrote:Are there any comments regarding a lite-version from the Milonic crew?
You just got one from a Team Member!

Want one from another Team Member? Kevin is correct (as usual). While you cannot control what your visitors do with their browsers, I've found that most folks don't know the first thing about changing the options. Once the code files hit the cache that should be end of story.

As for messing with the code, you'll lose all support from this board or directly from Milonic. Do you go in and change the code for Word because there are program options you don't use, and then expect M$ to support you when there's a problem?
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

There is a lite version due for release possibly as part of version 6.

This should be done once we are at a stage where we can do some proper development.

At the moment we are all spending far too long sending emails, should be in the next few months.

Cheers
Andy
D@niel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by D@niel »

Thanks for the info, all!