WebTV

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
waynem
Advanced
Advanced

WebTV

Post by waynem »

I saw some posts about the older version not working with WebTV, but does Version 5 have any issues?

I have a user of my Snitz forum (.ASP) who can no longer post messages to the forum after I added the menu to the code. I don't see why this code would cause that and I have further troubleshooting to do, but if this has come up before I'd rather know now than later.

Thanks!
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Don't know about problems, but I thought I'd mention (in case you didn't already know) that you can get a WebTV emulator from this site. Might help in testing.

FWIW,

Kevin
waynem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by waynem »

Thanks, Kevin. I can duplicate the problem using this viewer!

When I comment out the menu code from the asp page, the form buttons start working again. When I return the line back into the asp page, I can no longer use the form buttons.

Clearly having this code on the ASP page is preventing WebTV browsers from using form buttons.

Does anyone have any idea why, and how to fix this?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Please post a link so we can see the code.
John
waynem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by waynem »

http://www.poconocommuter.com/forum

The code is in this asp file, in text form here:

http://www.poconocommuter.com/forum/inc_header.txt

thanks
bobzilla2u
Advanced
Advanced

WebTV support

Post by bobzilla2u »

Milonic's homepage mentions that support is currently in development for the menu on MSN TV (formally know as WebTV) and Pocket PC's.

I was wondering what this means since version 5.0 has had it's final released. Does the final release support MSN TV or is there going to be an alternate version specific to MSN TV and Pocket PC's?

I personally do not care for MSN TV but was required to make our site work in one fashion or another. We have to do a browser detect, load an alternate style sheet and recode several areas to make them compatible. An alternate way to navigate our site was also required because the Milonic menu (at the time was release 30.0) did not work.

Don't get me wrong... I love the menu and stand in awe of the time and energy that has been spent to make the Milonic menu work in the long list of compatible browsers. The problem lies in the archaic code that the MSN TV browser is based on. For me, menu support for MSN TV would only be one battle won in my war against MSN TV.
-bobzilla2u
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

You may want to consider a text based static menu taking the place of the milonic menu when you detect the MSN browser. I see you have a couple links under a few of the menu items and it would take some creativity to make it look nice, but you might have to swap out the milonic menu in favor of a table or something when you detect the MSN browser. But whether the final release supports MSN browser is mainly Andy's department.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
bobzilla2u
Advanced
Advanced

Menu works with MSNTV 2 (webtv) unless Doctype is present

Post by bobzilla2u »

Problem with menu when Doctype is declared.

I have tested the menu (version 5.691) with MSN TV 2 and it works! The only problem is when a DOCTYPE is declared.
If a Doctype is present the menu shows on the page but nothing can be selected and the dropdowns do not appear.
When the Doctype is removed the menu works fine.

Any idea why?

Test pages:
Menu works because no Doctype is present:
http://www.morgankeegan.com/html/blue/w ... btest1.asp

Doctype is present, menu failes:
http://www.morgankeegan.com/html/blue/w ... btest2.asp

Also, long menus do not scroll. (overflow="scroll")

-Bob
-bobzilla2u
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Blimey, you mean it actually works on Web TV?

Are you using a live Web TV Box or a SDK?

If you know where we can get a copy of the SDK please let me know, otherwise we will have to try and source a Web TV box in the UK and this may take some time

Cheers,
Andy
bobzilla2u
Advanced
Advanced

MSNTV 2

Post by bobzilla2u »

We are using a live MSN TV 2 box. I have not seen an SDK but I've heard the new box uses a browser version based on I.E. 6. (Key word: "based") There is no development site for the new version either.

Just to clarify: The menu works on the new MSNTV2 box, not the original WEB TV or the MSNTV version 1 box.

Thanks,
-Bob
-bobzilla2u