help please

Please note that official support for this menu version has now ceased. There are still plenty of users, though, and the forum is still running. Some of our long-time users may be able to help you out.
Rachael Fenwick
Beginner
Beginner

help please

Post by Rachael Fenwick »

I have been asked to update a site thats running DHTML Menu version 3.3.19.

It was working ok in IE6 but every other browser it put all the scrolling text out of position but it was still viewable. I tried to add a page and amended the code within the JS file by adding one single line, I also did this to the root js file and uploaded it. I then found the scrolling text had completely disappeared when viewed in IE6 but was still showing in other browsers, again out of position.

Not being happy, I took the line of code out of the two JS files and re-uploaded them to the server (i.e. back how it was) but I cant see the scrolling text at all now when I did before? Im banging my head against a brick wall here. I dont know what Im doing wrong, just want it back the way it was or can anyone suggest an alternative?

I very much appreciate any help anyone can give, thanks.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: help please

Post by Ruth »

Hi Rachel,

I just wanted to respond here so you wouldn't be waiting forever. I doubt you will get any user help and there is no support for the menu anymore except for users giving help. It has been years since anyone actually posted any help here for someone else. The forum remains mostly for search purposes so people can try and find answers to questions. Version 3 is years and years out of date, sometime back in 2003/2004 Version 5 was released. I can only suggest that you look into upgrading to version 5. Especially as there have been so many new browser levels and new browsers updates in operating systems and so on.

If you are interested in upgrading to 5, there is an easy conversion tool available to convert the menu_array.js file of version 3 to 5, in order to save all the work of re-doing that portion of the menu. Let me know if you want to do that, I'll be glad to help you.

Ruth
Rachael Fenwick
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for much for the reply. I would definately be interested in upgrading if its going to be compatible with todays modern browsers. Could you please therefore tell me, where do I go from here? I have very little knowledge of this kind of script or how to implement it into the web pages so any help would be very much appreciated. I could even give you a zip file of the web folders if that would help?

Rachael.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Well, can you post the website where it is used now, I would need to be able to see that? As to upgrading, here is the link with all the information http://milonic.com/licensing.php

If you have any more questions, please post back and I'd be glad to do what I can to help.

Ruth
Rachael Fenwick
Beginner
Beginner

Ruth,

Thanks for your help. Ive spoken to my boss as its his website and he promises to look into the upgrade but hes not interested in doing it before Christmas, I appreciate it needs doing now but what can I do?! you just cant help some people! Thanks for the link, I have saved it and will come back when I get the go ahead. I appreciate your help and Im very grateful, thank you.

Rachael.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Rachael,

Thanks for responding. Not much you can do. I know people who are still using NN4+ because it works for them and they are just insecure in changing what they have, though upgrading would provide them with so much more. Just post back here, if and when, and I'll be glad to help. The conversion is simple, and this version is so much more flexible as to design, function etc. It's why I so like this menu, since you don't have to know much at all to use it, which is about where I stand as to js, and even css :) Have a great Christmas.

Ruth