Help with menu in jsp

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
hvs123
Beginner
Beginner

Help with menu in jsp

Post by hvs123 »

I need help in implementing the menu from within a jsp. Can anyone help me figure out how to connect the pieces?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Help with menu in jsp

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I have posted this directly to Milonic so you should have a response soon. I just wanted you to know someone did read your post and so something will be coming down the line. I just don't know anything about jsp so wouldn't know where to begin.

Ruth
hvs123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hvs123 »

Ruth - Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing from Milonic. - Howard
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

hvs123 wrote:I need help in implementing the menu from within a jsp. Can anyone help me figure out how to connect the pieces?
What exactly is the problem.

The menu is Javascript and all you really need is a HTML page. I assume your .jsp pages are plain text?
hvs123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hvs123 »

Hi Andy.

Thanks for responding. Actually our website has been using your menu for over 10 years, but unfortunately it has never been updated since that time, so it's desperately in need of an update, especially since our customers have started to complain that the menu isn't working right in IE 11. I see that the newest version probably addresses that problem, and we are in the process of purchasing a new license.

The person who implemented the menu in our website has long since moved on, and I'm trying to figure out what he did to make it work, and more importantly, what I will need to do to make the new version work.

Our website is an application that is built in Java on Struts, with all the pages coming from jsp's. There is a folder which contains the following: menu_array_home.js, menu.jsp, mmenu.js, session.js, som.css, somprint.css, tab.js, tables.css and timeout.js. I'm not sure exactly which of these are involved with the menu or not, but I do see that the menu.jsp file has code in a script that starts with "Milonic DHTML Website Navigation Menu - Version 3.x" and looks a lot like what's in the new menu_data.js file of your newest version, except that the formatting of the parameters are different now. But at the end of that menu.jsp file is a line whose purpose I don't understand. It reads:

<div class="jsmenu"><script language="JavaScript" src="<%= request.getContextPath() %>/theme/mmenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script></div>

(Incidentally, the only other place in the app that mentions jsmenu is in somprint.css, where it reads: .jsmenu{display:none;} and I don't know what that does.)

I have downloaded the latest sample files for the menu and put them in the folder, and I have gotten them to work in a simple jsp page I created, but I can't figure out how to "wire" it to the way our app is built! I've tried various configurations of adding the...

<script type="text/javascript" src="milonic_src.js"></script>
<noscript><a href="http://milonic.com/">JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic</a></noscript>
<script type="text/javascript" src="mmenudom.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="menu_data.js"></script>

... JavaScript tags to the menu.jsp file, but all to no avail!

Can you help me?

Sincerely,
Howard
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

I see the problem now.

Looks like you are running version 3 of the menu and version 5 (which is what you need) has a different set of files.

Is there anyway that we can see the actual website or could you email me a copy of your .jsp file?

my email username is andy and the domain is milonic.com
hvs123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hvs123 »

Andy, I sent you a couple of emails. Thanks - Howard
hvs123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hvs123 »

Andy, have you had any luck with this? Did you receive the emails I sent you? - Howard
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Yes I got the emails but noted that it's version 3 of the menu and the upgrade looked like it would take quite some work to complete.

Are you able to make changes to the code yourself?

-- Andy
hvs123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hvs123 »

Andy,

Yes, I'm the one who has to make the code changes. I know that it will require a lot of work since the structure of the parameters has changed a lot since version 3. But what I'm more concerned about is how to get it to work with the way we have it set up with our jsp. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Howard.