Help for installing menu?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Elessar852
Beginner
Beginner

Help for installing menu?

Post by Elessar852 »

Hey guys - I've got a question. I've been trying to install a horizontal menu on my site, but I can never get it to work. :| When I set it to appear horizontally, all that shows up is something that looks like a sliver of glass... When I set it to appear vertically however, it works fine. I know very little HTML, and I know it's probably something stupid that I'm doing wrong. Any help would be hugely appreciated.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

First you have to help us. Post a URL so we can see what's happening and look at your code. At this point you've left us blind :?
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Still no luck here, this is what I see before I refresh the page.
I've tried changing "center;middle"; to "center"; with the original positioning but it still sits at the top of the page instead of absolute positioning.

Thank you
maz
Elessar852
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Elessar852 »

Sorry about that... it's sort of embarrassing because it's only a geocities site, and not sophisticated or anything, and only partly finished.

http://geocities.com/elessar852/BBCtest

The little sliver is on the top of the page, and now there is a color highlight on the upper left hand corner. Not sure why. As I said my HTML/javascript skills are nill.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

A few things I would suggest...

First - UPDATE :!: You are running 3.3.19. With the current v3 series sitting at 3.5.15 that puts you literally 20-some levels down. Always get your code here (not from dynamicdrive, which is my guess here, as they are always down-level - DISCLAIMER: personal opinion, not that of Milonic).

Even better, go to v5 which is just a few days (hopefully) from release and very stable. Get it at http://milonic.com/v5_rc3/menu5.zip.

Second, move your menu calls up to the first items after the <body>, or in the <head> if you prefer. Right now you have them all the way at the end of your code.

You have at least 2 instances of each the following items scattered in your code...

<html>
<head>
<title>
</title>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

As you go through your code there should be only one of each, in the order shown above.

Both of your <body> tags look something like this...

Code: Select all

<body onload="init()" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" link="#0000FF" vlink="#FF0000" text="#000000"
>
Note that the closing '>' is on a line by itself. This indicates to me there is a return in there, which may or may not be adding to the problems. It should look like this...

Code: Select all

<body onload="init()" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" link="#0000FF" vlink="#FF0000" text="#000000">
While we're here, this tag is calling a script (onload="init()"), which I don't find anywhere in your code.

Clean up these errors and we'll take another look.

Also, get a book on HTML (that's not a dig, just a constructive suggestion). It's really not hard, and it would help you to see what this generator you're using is doing wrong.
John
Elessar852
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks

Post by Elessar852 »

Thanks so much for the advice/information, it's a huge help. I'll upgrade the version I'm using, and probably stop by the bookstore and pick up a HTML for Dummies or something like that. Thanks again.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hope all that didn't scare you away from our Forum. Feel free to ask questions any time. What I posted was just some things I saw that were way off-base. My guess is the editor they provide is doing some strange things to you.

Sweep up a bit, and drop back so we can continue.
John