Menu Color Takes Over !!!

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

Menu Color Takes Over !!!

Post by gardenguy »

Using the beta 5 release, I have called the color green (onbgcolor = "green";).
When I add a menu item or in any way edit the file then the first time I refresh the screen on which it resides, the whole screen becomes the menu green. I refresh again and it goes back into just the menu where it belongs. This is a Mac with IE5.
And I'm half Irish.
David
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Post a URL, gg.

IE5.2.3 (latest) supposedly fixed more bugs. You up to date there? What version of the OS? Tried a different browser?

Don't get me wrong - I'm definitely a Mac person - but IE/Mac sucks. Safari is going to beat it to death (well, I guess M$ already did that), but it still has a ways to go.
And I'm half Irish.
Hmm - then you should only get half a green page...
John
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

Still Green after all these days

Post by gardenguy »

I took John's advice and upgraged from Mac IE5.1 to 5.2.3.
My OS is 10.1.5 and I will not be going to 10.2 for awhile ($$$).
I still have the problem.
It happens also when I use refresh (intermittently).
I have not tried another browser, but will eventually try it on W98 box.
The troublesome URL is currently only a proposal for our town, which until now has not seen fit to have a web site.
http://hinsdale.sallyanddavid.com/
Mostly dead ends at the moment, a definite work in progress.
I use a Milonic 3 version on our garden site with no issues. Just wanted to try something new for now.
Let me know if you experience the problem.
It is NOT good for Mac users that it is working this way.
Thanks
David
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

Still Green

Post by gardenguy »

I am at rc2 now and still have the problem.
Further, I was reading thru other forums and found a comment from John that there are three required base files and then the user array file. Well I had been running all this time without one of those files (worked fine). I thought having that might fix it, so I uploaded mmenuns4.js. It did not change anything that I can perceive at this time (is it really needed with verical menu?).
Still get all menu color screen (no quite true, there is always a 5% or so edge on the right side with my page background showing thru and it stays there if I drag the window smaller).
This usually fixed if I click a button as opposed to doing a refresh. It is intermittent and drives me NUTS! I did not see it on W98 box yet.
It is a show stopper for a Mac user if others behave this way, unless of course I have done some silly code thing, but this is pretty straight forward single menu.
Alas,
David
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Not able to look at it on a Mac right now (stuck at work!), but I do have a couple of comments...

1. Move your script calls out of the <head> and to the first items in the <body>.

2. The black text on dark green background is really tough to read.

3. The ../ calls are going to make things goofy if your site goes more than one level deep. Use server-relative addressing. See my gibberish on this at http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/forum/vie ... php?t=1983.

4. Looks pretty up there!
John
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

Been there, done that (sort of)

Post by gardenguy »

Hi John,
I respond in numbered order per your previous post.
1. I have moved from head to body the scripts.
2. The text should be yellow. I just got on someone elses PC last night and discovered it was black there too. This means the calls to my style sheet are not working on some platforms/browsers. I am using @import url. Suggestions there?
3. I am a significant part of the gibberish on referenced link. That is where your price was rather steep and it didn't work for me the way you suggested. See my last post there.
4. It sure is pretty here. I presume you went to my www button link (gardens).
Thanks for your help and no problem with time. I am too old to be in a hurry anymore.
David
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

OK...

1. Good.

2. You have that text wrapped in a <div class="centercontent">. In that the text is defined as black. Note that your "Thanks to..." text is yellow because after the center stuff (...in which its residents take great pride.) you closed the offending <div>, which let your <body> statement take over again.

3. Was not referring to your gibberish, but mine :!: Anyway, you're still going to run into trouble if you use ../ on a multi-level site.

4. Was talking about the picture on the home page looking down the road. Here (Phoenix) I'm showing 117 in the shade on my back porch right now!
John
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Since I'm home today it finally dawned on me to look at your site on my Mac (duh). Interesting - the center text is yellow (but black on the PC).

Here's the deal - @import is supported only by the latest and smartest browsers. Given that I'm on the latest of IE (6.0.2800) I expected it to work. On the Mac side I used the release of Safari.

Suggestions would be to make the correction mentioned in my last post, and use the 'standard' call for your css, e.g.

Code: Select all

<link href="code/HinsdaleStyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
Also, your call is missing the comment marks which keep it from being looked at by older browsers that can't handle it. Should be...

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
<!--
@import url("code/HinsdaleStyle.css");
-->
</style>
That way even folks with older browsers will see things right.
John
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

What OS and Browser

Post by gardenguy »

John,
Opps!!
After posting the following text I re-read your previous and find you already said PC IE6. So basically this is a silly post. Sorry.

Curious to know what you are running on your PC?
Did you see black text with both IE and Netscape?
Versions, etc??

Meanwhile I hope to straighten this stuff out today, given rain keeps me out of the gardens and the housework is done.
David
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

PC vs Mac revealed

Post by gardenguy »

Wow, who'd a thunk it !!!
I made all the changes suggested by John and still had black text on PC and yellow on Mac. At first I thought it must be that the style sheet was not being called, but that couldn't be it, since the call to background gif is made there and the class calls were working.
Then I realized that the two things not working were black text and blue background on top left image. In the stylesheet those items were commented out with the // characters. I removed the code rather then comment them out, and it got better on the PC.
At the moment all I can deduce is that Mac treats the // correctly and PC does not, but that would mean lots of code not working throughout the land which therefore doesn't seem very plausible.
Anyone watching care to comment?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I'm seeing yellow main text on the PC now.

The only other minor thing I see is as the menu scrolls down it partially covers the first letter in each line of the text. Maybe move the text right about 5-10px.
John
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

Let's get back on track

Post by gardenguy »

Life is good off topic wise, but the original post concern is still there.
On a Mac running IE 5.2.3, when the home page at
http://hinsdale.sallyanddavid.com
is refreshed or new code is uploaded, then first click only, the green menu color runs all the way to the right side of the screen, minus about 15 pixels. It is fixed by clicking the home link in the menu. It is intermittent, but happens more often than not. I have not seen it on my PC nor my Mac using Netscape. I can't use Safari at the moment, since in needs OX10.2 and I am too poor for now.
Would love to know if others on Mac IExx have the same problem.
Thanks for all your advice on the off topic stuff John.
Best to all.
David
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

Abandoned the Menu System

Post by gardenguy »

I never did get the color problem fixed.
I did end up liking this forum style and so got started on phpbb.
And that got me to php-nuke.
So now the hinsdale site is a php-nuke site.
I found a visit there just now from someone who must have clicked the link in my post which now forwards to the new official home for our town site.
Thanks for your help.
David